• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Just bought her, stress, death or molting?

Is my tarantula stressed, dying or molting?

• Stressed

Votes: 7 100.0%
  • Dying

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Molting

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Caren Gibson

3 Year Member
image.jpeg
image.jpg
I just bought a Female Selenotypus Sp. pet names Champagne Robustus and I'm not too sure if she's stressed, diying or molting. The terrarium I built for her is made out of potting soil with the other top half covered in tiny rocks and coco fibre in her den to create her nest. I've also put tropical plants and I was wondering maybe the environment isn't suitable for her. She has webbed a lot and made a web flooring near her den too and usually sits inside the tree monument but today she is sitting under the leaf curled up... I've even put two woodies and she hasn't taken any interest in eating them.

khatchet

3 Year Member
I would say stress, you should take the rocks out and use ether top soil with no additives, or eco earth. Also the the enclosure looks to big, I would add a divider to half it, a lot of space can also stress them out.

Tomoran

3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
I definitely agree with khatchet. It's a gorgeous set up, but I think that it's too large and poses a lot of risk for injury from a fall. Personally, I would get rid of the gravel, put several more inches of coco, top soil. peat in there to raise the level of the substrate so that if she climbs and falls, she won't be injured. I've found that for many of my Ts, larger enclosures mean more time to acclimate. In the wild, they have burrows and are used to small patches of "real estate". With an enclosure that size, it may take her a bit to find and use the burrow or simple to settle in.

MassExodus

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Just looking at the picture, I wouldn't say she is stressed, or dying, or even in premolt:) Sometimes a spider sits like that, she may be just hunkering under a leaf out if the light. I've found mine actually crouching with their legs completely covering their eyes. It could just mean she's comfortable enough in her enclosure now to not feel the need to retreat to her hide in daylight. I have several like that. How long have you had her?

MassExodus

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Nice set up by the way, and adding some substrate to raise the level wouldn't hurt, and I notice the rocks are only on half, so they're fine. It's quite possible she likes sitting on them. Several of mine do, and it would also be another reason she's staying on that side, and just hunkering under a leaf rather than going to her hide.

RedCapTrio

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
How long have you had your T? Tank looks awesome and will definitely take time for your T to settle in. If mine, I would leave it like that for a couple of weeks and not feed at all.

Caren Gibson

3 Year Member
Thanks guys! Creating the terrarium was so exciting I had butterflies in my stomach! Anyways, I got her yesterday morning. I probrably will just leave her. I've already put 2 woodies in and hopefully she will eat them later on when she feels like it. It's been 7 hours now and she has only moved slightly but relaxed her legs more, I guess I'll just have to wait and see! I've added some more coco fibre on the other side of the tree monument and I'll see how that goes, moving the rocks might stress her out since I got to get her out to do the job. Also, if I was to put a divider to the tank would it be okay to buy another spider next to her? I would probrably make sure I divide the soil as well as make the divider not see each other.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    934.1 KB · Views: 40
Last edited:

Scoolman

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
This is an arid species, from Austrslia. Your setup will generate too much humidity. If you try to dry it out you kill the plants. I reccomend you replace the plants with succulants, and keep them in clay pots. Be sure to include a water dish. Is that potting soil free of any fertilizer or additives?
Right now she is stressed due to the new environment, she needs a couple weeks to settle in, this is normal behavior for a new tarantula.
Do Not divide the tank. If is a very risky move, and difficult to do correctly. If you make a mistake you will end up with one fat tarantula.

Caren Gibson

3 Year Member
Explains everything, I'll do that straight away! The potting soil is free from any fertilizer or additives but I'm not too sure about the soil that came with the plants. Thanks also!

micheldied

3 Year Member
I like the setup. The gravel may make it difficult for her to burrow where she wants, though. And it can be rough.

Don't worry about it being too big. They won't get stressed out because it's too big, she'll find a spot she likes and make it a home, and likely just won't use most of the space. The only thing the space is going to do is make her take longer to settle in. Falling is a risk, but it is a very small one. If you're really afraid of it happening, raise the substrate level a little.

The size of the enclosure may actually help you out. You can keep it bone dry and only heavily water right on the plants. I've seen an M. balfouri communal work this way, and they like it bone dry as well.

I'm guessing she's new. Just give her a while to become accustomed to the enclosure.

Caren Gibson

3 Year Member
Cheers, I'm planning on getting an eye dropper to directly water the plants! The tank was a fish tank and it just has two sepereate glass coverings over the top. My mother said I should get a fly screen and make a removable covering so she can breathe more.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 42
Last edited:

MassExodus

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Cheers, I'm planning on getting an eye dropper to directly water the plants! The tank was a fish tank and it just has two sepereate glass coverings over the top. My mother said I should get a fly screen and make a removable covering so she can breathe more.
Yes, you're going to want heavy ventilation at the top if you have no cross ventilation.

Scoolman

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Flyscreen will be too weak. A tarantula can cut through aluminum screen with its fangs in short time. Galvnized steel screen is best. If you use aluminum screen, double or triple layer it.

micheldied

3 Year Member
I'd just make a couple of vent holes in the glass tops. It should be fine, with the size of the enclosure, you opening the enclosure now and then, and you don't really have to worry about mold or mites with how dry most of the enclosure will be.

Chubbs

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
This is a legitimately serious question, do you know what a molting tarantula looks like? I am rather confused as to how someone who owns a tarantula could not know what a molting tarantula looks like. I'm assuming you did some form of research ahead of time, and this is like Tarantula 101 stuff. Good luck with your tarantula, always been interested in the Australian species, given how rare they are in the hobby for the most part.

Caren Gibson

3 Year Member
Flyscreen will be too weak. A tarantula can cut through aluminum screen with its fangs in short time. Galvnized steel screen is best. If you use aluminum screen, double or triple layer it.

Thanks a lot, should do the Galvnized Steel Screen I suppose. Really want to give her as much ventilation I can provide.

Caren Gibson

3 Year Member
This morning I woke up to find her dug up a big hole in the ground and I could barely see her! I assume she's settling in her new home and becoming more comfortable with her whereabouts. Super happy!