• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Jumping Spider Questions

Alyssa Martin

New owner of a jumping spider here!

So I've got a couple or questions for anyone willing to answer them.

His (unknown gender just going with he for now) cage setup at present is a 1/4 inch layer of coco fiber, and two cut down exo terra plants for coverage and climbing. He is in a tall container which I'm guessing from our other jars is about a 36 oz jar. His dirt is dry, but I sprayed a small side of the cage for his water, since I've read this is ideal for this species.

He's pretty tiny right now, I'm guessing a juvi.

I found him in one of our windows and fed him in a catch cup to insure he ate. He struck rather quickly so I'll assume he was hungry. So I figure I'll keep him unless be shows signs of illness from captivity.

So here's my questions.

I've heard that they need about a 12" 12" 12" container ideally and was wondering if this is true? I'd like to go with an Exo Terra tank so here are the size options, prices aside.

12" 12" 12"

12" 12" 18"

Do they tend to stay inside Exo Terras? Is there anywhere I will need to tiny spider proof? Or is a plastic/glass container better?

What is the humidity requirements for these guys? What is the temperature range? I'm assuming temperature is fine since he was in my home.

Anything else I need to know?

Enn49

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
The Jumping Spiders (P. regius) I had were great fun. They're very intelligent and have amazing eyesight.
I kept mine in clear acrylic containers with lots of small ventilation holes. My worry about the ExoTerras is that they have holes at the back along the plastic frame for cables to run through and a little Jumper could easily escape through them.
They need feeding every 2-3 days and I spayed one side of the container also every 2-3 days but I put a water bowl in too.

Arachnoclown

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
They may be able to escape out the front ventilation of the exo terra as well. I'd make a custom setup out of a plastic gallon jar and a soldering iron. Like these for an example ...just make smaller ventilation holes.
20181008_180502.jpg

Alyssa Martin

The Jumping Spiders (P. regius) I had were great fun. They're very intelligent and have amazing eyesight.
I kept mine in clear acrylic containers with lots of small ventilation holes. My worry about the ExoTerras is that they have holes at the back along the plastic frame for cables to run through and a little Jumper could easily escape through them.
They need feeding every 2-3 days and I spayed one side of the container also every 2-3 days but I put a water bowl in too.

In the short few hours that I've had mine I've definitely noticed that! Mine saw the crickets leg move and struck, the cricket hadn't even been walking. It was both amazing and incredible he could find his food so quickly!

I think I will avoid the exo terra's then, as after I looked at mine (I have a Whites Tree Frog in a large one) I noticed there was places to escape especially at his small size.

I read an article stating that if they aren't given at least a square foot of space they tend to get ill. Is this something I need to be worried about? If this is a concern I could setup my old 10 gallon tank, but the lid has huge holes so I would have to modify that. He looks pretty small in the 36 oz jar so I'm hoping that's ok for now, if not I can release him back into the house.

I was planing on feeding every 2-3 days for sure, he was super hungry when I feed him, so I may do every 2 days until he's looking nice and healthy. That's good to know about the spraying, I will do that on feeding days if that is ok.

When I upgrade his tank I will include a water bowl, I need to find a small cap for his current cage at present. But I do have some larger ones laying about.

Latest posts