• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Is this T ok?

madvent75

Hi everyone, I’m actually at the pet store, was looking at habitat items and found this guy. I’m getting my first T this Friday. I noticed this T for sale and it looks like he flicked all the hairs off his abdomen, there are 4 crickets in his enclosure, is this T ok? I was wondering do I buy him and try to help it/save it or is this ok? I have zero experience at this moment with T’s but I’m thinking this environment is too big and this little guy is stressed, I think.

Attachments

• 2EC14226-36C5-4146-BBB6-A1A05A66A2C9.jpeg
    2EC14226-36C5-4146-BBB6-A1A05A66A2C9.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 17
  • A40E44CC-007F-482D-9441-C52A53AC4317.jpeg
    A40E44CC-007F-482D-9441-C52A53AC4317.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 18

Konstantin

3 Year Member
Hi
it is not housed correctly and is not cared for correctly so probably not ok as hardy as these are.It looks like Brachypelma emilia but not 100% as pic is not very good. They are great beginners choice.
The thing is you will save this one and they will get a new onein to replace it and to mistreat.Often they sell wild caught tarantulas in these pet stores and there is no need for plucking tarantulas from the wild if they are such a widely available as captive bred specimens as iscthe case with this species.Best thing in long run is not to buy from places like that as harsh it may sound end eventually they may stop selling them if noone buys them and they make no profit.
Just my 2 cents.
Do whatever you think is right for you by any means.
Regards Konstantin

Tarantulafeets

That t looks like a B emilia, and even though it is very tempting to try and save it, I personally wouldn't, as if you think about it, the pet store is just going to pluck another t from the wild to take its place. There also comes the risk of the t being unhealthy or have parasites, which can shorten its lifespan. Its unfortunate, but its just how big pet store companies work. There are many other reputable breeders online and on this forum, with much healthier ts, and I'd probably research as much as you can while you're at it. ;)

Tarantulafeets

Hi
it is not housed correctly and is not cared for correctly so probably not ok as hardy as these are.It looks like Brachypelma emilia but not 100% as pic is not very good. They are great beginners choice.
The thing is you will save this one and they will get a new onein to replace it and to mistreat.Often they sell wild caught tarantulas in these pet stores and there is no need for plucking tarantulas from the wild if they are such a widely available as captive bred specimens as iscthe case with this species.Best thing in long run is not to buy from places like that as harsh it may sound end eventually they may stop selling them if noone buys them and they make no profit.
Just my 2 cents.
Regards Konstantin
Got there before me XD

madvent75

Hi
Just my 2 cents.
Regards Konstantin
Thanks for the reply, I was concerned they may have more in the back to just replace this one but this just breaks my heart.. poor thing. I mentioned to the gal working there it looks stressed. She didn’t seem to care. :(
That t looks like a B emilia, and even though it is very tempting to try and save it, I personally wouldn't, as if you think about it, the pet store is just going to pluck another t from the wild to take its place. There also comes the risk of the t being unhealthy or have parasites, which can shorten its lifespan. Its unfortunate, but its just how big pet store companies work. There are many other reputable breeders online and on this forum, with much healthier ts, and I'd probably research as much as you can while you're at it. ;)
Yeah, I didn’t get it, I don’t want to add to the problem. it just seems so cruel, I don’t understand how anyone working there with any sense would see it’s not doing well. I’m getting my very 1st tarantula this Friday from an online breeder. It just broke my heart to see this one at the pet store doing so poorly.

MBullock

3 Year Member
Yeah petco's corporate standard is donkey poop. They will actually fire employees for adding 'too much' substrate as it will spill out and they'll get complaints about a dirty store. at least the one by me doesnt use sponges lol

Latest posts