• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Is this a ruptured abdomen?

x_raphael_xx

I took a knife to the face back in 2016 and used plain superglue to close the wound,
Just to play Devils advocate... human skin, nails & turtle shells etc are different to a spiders exoskeleton. So may have a different reaction.
Just like paint on human skin eventually flakes off, but is very bad to the developement of a tortoise shell.

MBullock

3 Year Member
Just to play Devils advocate... human skin, nails & turtle shells etc are different to a spiders exoskeleton. So may have a different reaction.
Just like paint on human skin eventually flakes off, but is very bad to the developement of a tortoise shell.
People use superglue on injured spiders all the time. it works. ecdysis isnt like shedding a snake skin, the process puts a layer of fluid between the new exoskeleton and old one. Any complications would be mostly if the glue were applied somewhere restricting proper movement and flexing during the molt (ie, if the pedicel were glued and immobile, etc)

WolfSpider

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I took my dead Grammostola rosea to school and did a autopsy on it for science class. (Evil cat knocked over her enclosure off a shelf). I was a wee little guy back then (14). ;)
There was a hard mass between both old and new exoskeleton. When I got it separated it remained on the old exo. Digging into the mass we came to the conclusion that the glue was still between both exos. Now glue these days may be different then 1986...probably alot better. I still would rather use something more natural on my spider.

Btw I break out badly when they use liquid bandage on me instead of old fashioned stitches. Seams like all the Dr.s don't like to stitch anymore.:D
Well said, thanks buddy!

VaporRyder

you're probably allergic to cyanoacrylate, it's a rather rare allergy. I took a knife to the face back in 2016 and used plain superglue to close the wound, and it actually did better than the guy at urgent care when my throat got ripped open after a fall. liquid bandage at the doc is actually basically just plain superglue, with a minor molecular tweak that prevents it from looking like a scab like plain superglue does.
“knife to the face”, “throat got ripped open”… :eek:

You need to take it easy, son! Are you a ninja by profession? :D

SilverSchreffler

I just wanted to give an update now that I am little less panicked about Abigail. She is still alive and she has been drinking water on her own. This makes me very hopeful! When I realized what her injury was and that she was bleeding I did initially apply corn startch to her but when we got to the vet it was apperant to him that it wasn't enough to staunch her bleeding by itslef. He used Elmer's glue to patch her up. He said that would be non toxic and should wear off of her eventually and not cause problems with her next molt. I am still keeping a close eye on her but since she is drinking, I am optimistic that she will pull through. The vet wanted us to try to feed her with tweezers in 5-7 days to aid her recovery. Her fangs do normally turn back to black and she does normally resume eating one week after a molt. I am very greatful to everyone who has provided advice about her.

VaporRyder

I just wanted to give an update now that I am little less panicked about Abigail. She is still alive and she has been drinking water on her own. This makes me very hopeful! When I realized what her injury was and that she was bleeding I did initially apply corn startch to her but when we got to the vet it was apperant to him that it wasn't enough to staunch her bleeding by itslef. He used Elmer's glue to patch her up. He said that would be non toxic and should wear off of her eventually and not cause problems with her next molt. I am still keeping a close eye on her but since she is drinking, I am optimistic that she will pull through. The vet wanted us to try to feed her with tweezers in 5-7 days to aid her recovery. Her fangs do normally turn back to black and she does normally resume eating one week after a molt. I am very greatful to everyone who has provided advice about her.
This does sound very positive! I’m so pleased to hear that the prognosis is good! :D

MBullock

3 Year Member
“knife to the face”, “throat got ripped open”… :eek:

You need to take it easy, son! Are you a ninja by profession? :D
the knife to the face was some crazy old dude that tried to kill me, i pulled an erhmantraut and grabbed him and just let him wail on me til the cops came. Didnt realize he had a knife in his hand til the cops told me i had a huge wound on my face. Slashed me up, too.

I made sure i got a free shot in- blitzed him and broke my cellphone across his face lolol. it was a bulky heavy 2016 ZTE phone in its case, and i hit him so hard it broke inside the case. I successfully manipulated him into shouting a racial slur too, but took pity on him and didnt let him get a felony hate crime charge so i omitted that when speaking to the cops.. i felt he just needed to stew in his own juices for a while to reflect on his mistake, so i never filed charges. He was facing two felonies had i pressed charges. Plus im pretty sure i broke a bunch of his teeth so i think he got his punishment fairly hahahaha. I couldnt afford stitches at the time, so all i could do was use superglue, and it worked.

Unfortunately, the injury to the throat was much less chad-esque. I was a heavy smoker back then and stood up really fast right after a morning puff and stretched- my blood pressure was extremely low and when i stood up, my brain left the blood behind and i fell face-down on the concrete in mid-stretch, right over the vagus nerve. Was a pretty gnarly injury and everyone was freaking out because they could see bone. not very painful at all though, probably because the nerve got overstimulated.

VaporRyder

the knife to the face was some crazy old dude that tried to kill me, i pulled an erhmantraut and grabbed him and just let him wail on me til the cops came. Didnt realize he had a knife in his hand til the cops told me i had a huge wound on my face. Slashed me up, too.

I made sure i got a free shot in- blitzed him and broke my cellphone across his face lolol. it was a bulky heavy 2016 ZTE phone in its case, and i hit him so hard it broke inside the case. I successfully manipulated him into shouting a racial slur too, but took pity on him and didnt let him get a felony hate crime charge so i omitted that when speaking to the cops.. i felt he just needed to stew in his own juices for a while to reflect on his mistake, so i never filed charges. He was facing two felonies had i pressed charges. Plus im pretty sure i broke a bunch of his teeth so i think he got his punishment fairly hahahaha. I couldnt afford stitches at the time, so all i could do was use superglue, and it worked.

Unfortunately, the injury to the throat was much less chad-esque. I was a heavy smoker back then and stood up really fast right after a morning puff and stretched- my blood pressure was extremely low and when i stood up, my brain left the blood behind and i fell face-down on the concrete in mid-stretch, right over the vagus nerve. Was a pretty gnarly injury and everyone was freaking out because they could see bone. not very painful at all though, probably because the nerve got overstimulated.
Wow! Crazy experiences, man!

This thread is defini to Drtely leading me towards that body safe superglue you can get - for my bugout bag…unless there’s a SHTF scenario, my life is too dull to need it! :p

Last edited by a moderator:

MBullock

3 Year Member
Wow! Crazy experiences, man!

This thread is definitely leading me towards that body safe superglue you can get - for my bugout bag…unless there’s a SHTF scenario, my life is too dull to need it! :p
It's definitely an important thing to put in a first-aid kit, especially if you like to fish or do stuff with knives. Cyanoacrylate also has antiseptic properties. For an actual laceration though superglue would work better than liquid bandage, imo.

Last edited by a moderator:

jaymiepereiro

Back in the 80s it was said to use glue to stop the bleed. I patched up one of my spiders and it worked great. However she ended up stuck in her molt and couldn't get out about a year later when she molted. Corn starch, baking soda, or flour work great for spiders. You can even purchase bleed stop, it's more expensive then the above items mentioned. Hopefully your spider will be OK since it just molted and hasn't developed another exoskeleton quite yet.
I have a mm a chalcodes that I just paired and the female got one of his legs, specifically the one with his hook. He can lift the leg but it just dangles from the hook down, and it has some clear fluid on it, not sure if it’s from him or the girl. I’m wondering if I should super glue it at that knuckle so he can still use it bc he has 5 more girls waiting for him (I’d dearly love to produce a bunch so maybe there won’t be so many taken from their natural habitat). I’ve heard the glue can bond to the molt underneath, but he won’t have another molt, right?

Arachnoclown

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
I have a mm a chalcodes that I just paired and the female got one of his legs, specifically the one with his hook. He can lift the leg but it just dangles from the hook down, and it has some clear fluid on it, not sure if it’s from him or the girl. I’m wondering if I should super glue it at that knuckle so he can still use it bc he has 5 more girls waiting for him (I’d dearly love to produce a bunch so maybe there won’t be so many taken from their natural habitat). I’ve heard the glue can bond to the molt underneath, but he won’t have another molt, right?
Put corn starch or flour on it. He will remove the leg probably so you don't want to use glue

WolfSpider

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Clown's advice is solid. He probably will lose this portion of his leg. BUT, your thoughts are equally valid. As he will never molt again, you can safely put glue on any body part except for orifices.

MattB78

you're probably allergic to cyanoacrylate, it's a rather rare allergy. I took a knife to the face back in 2016 and used plain superglue to close the wound, and it actually did better than the guy at urgent care when my throat got ripped open after a fall. liquid bandage at the doc is actually basically just plain superglue, with a minor molecular tweak that prevents it from looking like a scab like plain superglue does.
Bud, I don't say this very often, but you need to stay home more often!!

DustyD

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Any update?