• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Is this a good price for a Curly Hair?

ALD

3 Year Member
So, I made the journey to a pet store I have never been to before to check out what tank decor they had- hoping to find something cool. I found one random tank with a Tarantula in it. Turns out it is a Curly Hair. That is all it said on the tank. - I checked it against photos online (Being new to the hobby) and seems that is correct. I held back on the impulse to get him- until I asked about it on here :) The price is $60. Does that sound good? The size I guess helps determine if the price is okay or not- well, it was not small. But did not seem full grown. Also, being new to the hobby - All I have really looked into in detail is the GBB since I am getting one. Is their care like that of the GBB? I saw some things in quick Google search that said Curly Hair require high humidity.... and so on. I would like your thoughts. If I prepared to care for a GBB do you think I am also prepared for a Curly Hair? Is that price good or too much? Thanks in advance.

Arachnoclown

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
They don't require humidity. You can keep them the same as a Gbb, on dry substrate with water dish. They however will use a hide to crawl into and burrow a bit. $60 is a fair price for a pet shop...you can get them cheaper though.

ALD

3 Year Member
They don't require humidity. You can keep them the same as a Gbb, on dry substrate with water dish. They however will use a hide to crawl into and burrow a bit. $60 is a fair price for a pet shop...you can get them cheaper though.
Aw man- now I feel bad. This one did not have a lot of substrate and it seemed to just have a plant and a water dish. I am really thinking of going back for him next week or something. Thanks.

freerangeTs

3 Year Member
I paid 12.00 for a sling on it's way from the airport now

It depends on size, usually, but also sometimes on availability in your area. Usually I wouldn't find one for so little but due to a group order and massively reduced shipping costs, I didn't have to pay 60-70 on this one.

WolfSpider

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Consider getting it @ALD . They are a lot of fun. Aggressive eaters. Hearty. They are burrowing tanks and make a great display spider. I don’t handle any of mine, but a Curly Hair is quite handlable. They never flick hairs. Finally, although $60 is a bit steep. Even if you paid the awesome price of $12 dollars as @freerangeTs did (Good job!!), you would still need to pay $45 overnight shipping for a guarantee against DOA (dead on arrival). Thus, your $12.00 purchase is really $57. So,,,,$ 60 ain’t bad.
.....Admit it....now that you have an awesome GBB...another T sounds pretty cool.
Let us know what you do.

freerangeTs

3 Year Member
Consider getting it @ALD . They are a lot of fun. Aggressive eaters. Hearty. They are burrowing tanks and make a great display spider. I don’t handle any of mine, but a Curly Hair is quite handlable. They never flick hairs. Finally, although $60 is a bit steep. Even if you paid the awesome price of $12 dollars as @freerangeTs did (Good job!!), you would still need to pay $45 overnight shipping for a guarantee against DOA (dead on arrival). Thus, your $12.00 purchase is really $57. So,,,,$ 60 ain’t bad.
.....Admit it....now that you have an awesome GBB...another T sounds pretty cool.
Let us know what you do.
Lol nope - group order so for a 1.5" b vagans, 1/3" b albopilosum, and a centruroides gracilis, I paid 57 plus 16.00 for shipping [emoji7]

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

WolfSpider

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Nice!!! How did you get away with paying only $16 for shipping??
All of the major US vendors charge $45.

freerangeTs

3 Year Member
Nice!!! How did you get away with paying only $16 for shipping??
All of the major US vendors charge $45.

We only have 3 options throughout all of Canada, and it costs between 60-100 for shipping, so all three vendors organize group shipping to reduce the costs for everyone. They'll announce it on their websites or Facebook pages and do what they can to help reduce shipping between 15-20 for everyone ordering. The entire shipment goes to one person, each order individually labelled inside, and the person accepting the package also receives a copy of each order as it comes in. Then we go to pick it up from the person who helped organize the group shipment.

Great way to meet others in the hobby in your area as well!

ALD

3 Year Member
Let us know what you do.
I am still considering it :)