• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

is little one ok

spidey noob

3 Year Member
hi all,
a couple of weeks ago i decided to get my first T its a B Smithi, (aprox 2" leg span) i have done some reserch on them before buying the little one so i do no some very basics abought there care. here is the first couple of pics i took of it.
here is the tank/ exoterra small / heat mat has been put on the side with a ministat 100.

here is the little one

when i got it the guy in the shop said that it waas going into pre moult.
now two weeks down the line it still hasnt moulted witch i no it can take longer but im starting to wonder if it looks ok, so im hopeing someone could give me there opinion on how the little one looks ?
these pics were just takeing to night.

any help is apricated thanks

Tomoran

3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Welcome to the hobby and congratulations on your new T...it's beautiful! I love my B. smithi; such a gorgeous animal.

It looks fine to me. It definitely looks like its abdomen is nice and plump and has darkened up. It appears to be in premolt. It can take a little while for a tarantula to actually molt, so don't worry if it takes a little while. It'll go when it's ready. :) Mine once took about a month an a half between starting premolt and actually molting; time may vary.

What are the normal temperatures in your home? I wouldn't bother using the heat mat, as they do well in room temperatures. Also, what do you have for substrate? Those rocks look a bit rough and jagged; if she were to fall from the top, she could injure herself. Although those things can be found in the wild, they can be hazardous in a terrarium. I use dry coco fiber with mine, although there are certainly other appropriate alternatives. You also want to make sure to fill it with enough substrate that if the T climbs and falls, it won't injure itself. For a T that size, I would fill it up to a few inches from the top. You don't want it to fall and rupture that plump backside!

I hope that's helpful. Again, welcome! :)

Josh

Administrator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Welcome aboard! Great looking T! :T:
She looks great! Don't sweat it about the molt too much. As @Tomoran said, it'll happen when she's good and ready.

spidey noob

3 Year Member
chears guys :)
tomoran
im in the uk so its usually quite cold here,(its 12c today) im useing prorep as substrate & there are no rocks its wood. i have been looking into changeing the substrate might give the coco fiber a try.

josh
SHE ! so i looks like a female to u ? i have no idea so im going to try to sex the moult.

thanks again guys:T:

Sabeth

3 Year Member
Looking great! As mentioned, avoid anything sharp in the tank. Also the substrate should be dry, I couldn't tell for sure from the photos. Congrats on your newbie!

Sabeth

3 Year Member
EcoEarth (shredded coconut husk) is a good type of sub to use. It can wait until after your T molts, though.

spidey noob

3 Year Member
2g3
thanks for that. :)

little update
i decided to change the substrate now instead of after moult as my T is always on the side of the tank, so it must not of been to happy with it & the hummidty was at 95 so thought it would be best to do it now. couldnt get ecoearth so i had to get prorep coco brick, i also made the substrate 3/4" deep as sugested to me. :) it also hasnt taken any food for four days now so may be getting close to moulting. :D

one quick question though
i cant see to get a constant hummidty level, i thought when i changed the substrate the humidity would come down some but it changes daily yesterday it was at 80% today its 90%, does the humidty in the room directly affect the enclosure ?

MatthewM1

3 Year Member
Analog gauges are garbage. And really a humidity gauge for a T is going to do nothing other than drive you nuts. For your smithi your going to want to keep the sub bone dry, no need to mist it or add any water. Just keep that waterdish full. It will provide all the humidity it needs. Also eco earth is just a brand name of coco fiber, any brand will work.

spidey noob

3 Year Member
all done moulting, :) (moult had a leg span of 2.7")
first couple of pics after moult, (looks like its grown quite a bit)

second lot are of the moult, im hopeing some one could tell me the sex, if its mature enought,

spidey noob

3 Year Member
hi all :)
just a little up date,
the little guys doing good eating well, (cricket every two days) & is quite lively at times.

once he has moulted again i am going to upgrade his tank, & then get a female :D (small as possible)
there is also a nother spices im looking at for the new year: heteroscodra maculata (togo starburst)
but not a 100% yet. (will have to look into there care requirements)