• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Is it really worth it?

Arachnes' Acolyte

3 Year Member
Ken the bug guy has a Pachistopelma bromelicola listed at $189.00 for 1 inch! He's all like new and rare and pretty lol, which is good............but if that's the case, finding a opposite breeder will be daunting at best! My first thought was...don't shoot me guys lol....hybridization. Although I'm not a fan doing that with spiders number one it's risky business for no pay off but...it's Avic sub fam! Honestly it looks like a less pretty knock off versicolor lol. Anybody got XP with these guys? How hard are they to come buy really? It's still a nice spider. I'm really considering it but...I am investing in fun breeding adventures. What do you guys think? Good or bad investment?

Pasodama

3 Year Member
I do not have personal experience with the Pachistopelma bromelicola.
However, Ken is not the only person who has them. Have seen them available elsewhere. Also, am sure that they will be available, at another time, as well.
May be just me but it doesn't look like a Versicolor, knock off or otherwise, to me ... other than an Avicularia similarity.;)

Arachnes' Acolyte

3 Year Member
I do not have personal experience with the Pachistopelma bromelicola.
However, Ken is not the only person who has them. Have seen them available elsewhere. Also, am sure that they will be available, at another time, as well.
May be just me but it doesn't look like a Versicolor, knock off or otherwise, to me ... other than an Avicularia similarity.;)
Thank you for the input. Lol....only look like versicolor as slings....had a sapphire sheen....unless I saw the wrong pic lol. But as adults....not so much. Seriously though...I do appreciate the info. U know somebody who has worked with them? Just seems a tad excessive.

Pasodama

3 Year Member
Don't know who has worked, with them, but I believe they can be kept just as you would keep most any Avic.

Pasodama

3 Year Member
BTW I have seen them sold for less than $189 (at 1"-2"). Should be able to find a lower price if you look around.

LC72uk

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I was looking into getting one of these, beautiful as Slings , then I saw an adult, Brown and drab.
It`s a lot of money to pay out to end up with a Brown T:):T:

Pasodama

3 Year Member
Actually, as adults, they are not brown & drab. Have seen a fair number, of pics, and only saw one, maybe two, that showed a brown one.
'Course, they are not super colorful, either (though beautiful as babies) but do have an interesting look.
I do agree that $189 is pretty high. Especially when you can get a 1"-2" for at least $100 less.

Tomoran

3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Ken the bug guy has a Pachistopelma bromelicola listed at $189.00 for 1 inch! He's all like new and rare and pretty lol, which is good............but if that's the case, finding a opposite breeder will be daunting at best! My first thought was...don't shoot me guys lol....hybridization. Although I'm not a fan doing that with spiders number one it's risky business for no pay off but...it's Avic sub fam! Honestly it looks like a less pretty knock off versicolor lol. Anybody got XP with these guys? How hard are they to come buy really? It's still a nice spider. I'm really considering it but...I am investing in fun breeding adventures. What do you guys think? Good or bad investment?

Personally, I think they're worth what you want to pay for them. If you want to have a rare T that you can show off, then it might be worth the money. You have to consider that, by the time you grow this one up, find a male (or female) and possibly get some slings from it, the prices will have likely dropped MUCH lower.

When you mention hybridization, PLEASE tell me your not talking about breeding this one to another species. That would be incredibly irresponsible. If that's what you meant, please refrain from buying it. The prices are high because they are new to the hobby. In order for the prices to come down to more reasonable levels, folks need to breed them and produce PURE slings. The last thing we need is someone purposely trying to pollute the gene pool of a species that's new to the hobby. That could potentially ruin this species for hobbyists wanting to keep them.

I'm thinking I totally misunderstood what you were saying, so my apologies if that last paragraph doesn't apply.

Last edited:

Tricocyst

3 Year Member
yea I had a Ball Python years and years ago and after she sadly passed away I browsed for a new Ball Python but majority of the Ball Pythons on the market now are hybrids and it honestly was such a shock to me that I refuse to buy a ball python out of fear of supporting a hobbyist who messes up a perfectly fine species. I just don't agree with hybrids for any reason. (edited due to spelling perfectly wrong)

Redacted

3 Year Member
Personally, I think they're worth what you want to pay for them. If you want to have a rare T that you can show off, then it might be worth the money. You have to consider that, by the time you grow this one up, find a male (or female) and possibly get some slings from it, the prices will have likely dropped MUCH lower.

When you mention hybridization, PLEASE tell me your not talking about breeding this one to another species. That would be incredibly irresponsible. If that's what you meant, please refrain from buying it. The prices are high because they are new to the hobby. In order for the prices to come down to more reasonable levels, folks need to breed them and produce PURE slings. The last thing we need is someone purposely trying to pollute the gene pool of a species that's new to the hobby. That could potentially ruin this species for hobbyists wanting to keep them.

I'm thinking I totally misunderstood what you were saying, so my apologies if that last paragraph doesn't apply.
I second that. Well put.

Redacted

3 Year Member
I've discovered that expensive has no relationship to striking colors, patterns, etc. Expensive because of rarity in the hobby. to generalize from what Tom said, things are as expensive as everyone says they are. My own two cents is that the best of the best is the one you want.

Arachnes' Acolyte

3 Year Member

It's ok lol...I am in no way a fan of or have I ever cross bred! I mention that because of the Avic sub fam. I saw some vids of people hybridizing fire legs and blood legs I think....I was like WTF...why? They are steadily available and the likelihood of an injured T is greatly intensified. Basicly I was wondering if they ae actually as rare as they say or if he's just trying to drive sales. The fact is I've overpaid for nice Ts just because I love them and wanted them badly. However, I'm really tying to think breeding down the road, wasn't sure how hard it would be to track a mate down lol. Don't worry guys lol, thee will be no gene polluting on my end!

Arachnes' Acolyte

3 Year Member
You should be shot for thinking about cross breeding any T. Seriously. we have a big enough mess with hybrids already in the hobby. Beautiful spider though, and for that alone we can hope they stay pure.
Settle down tiger!!!! You misunderstood! I don't like hybrids! Did you see where I said too risky with no pay off? There is no point! I was questioning the legit rareity of he animal and why pay that much if finding a match would be that difficult! Possibly I phrased it wonky lol but I'm anti hybrid!!!!!!!!!!! After seeing blood and fire legs crossed I would not put it past folks because of its relation to Avics!

Tomoran

3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
It's ok lol...I am in no way a fan of or have I ever cross bred! I mention that because of the Avic sub fam. I saw some vids of people hybridizing fire legs and blood legs I think....I was like WTF...why? They are steadily available and the likelihood of an injured T is greatly intensified. Basicly I was wondering if they ae actually as rare as they say or if he's just trying to drive sales. The fact is I've overpaid for nice Ts just because I love them and wanted them badly. However, I'm really tying to think breeding down the road, wasn't sure how hard it would be to track a mate down lol. Don't worry guys lol, thee will be no gene polluting on my end!

Man, I'm so glad to hear that! I thought I might have misunderstood. I actually HAVE a Brachypelma boehmei/baumgarteni hybrid. Some fools a few years ago decided to mate the two and sell the offspring into the hobby. I now have a gorgeous female that I can't breed because of this. SO irritating.

My apologies for not getting it. I'm totally clear now! :)

IamKrush

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I like Ryu the bug guy personally.

kormath

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Settle down tiger!!!! You misunderstood! I don't like hybrids! Did you see where I said too risky with no pay off? There is no point! I was questioning the legit rareity of he animal and why pay that much if finding a match would be that difficult! Possibly I phrased it wonky lol but I'm anti hybrid!!!!!!!!!!! After seeing blood and fire legs crossed I would not put it past folks because of its relation to Avics!
Glad to see your on the right side ;) i did read your post like you're look to create a new hybrid, my bad.
Kormath is a no nonsense type of guy lol He doesn't mince his words, lmao
Hell no, life's to short to talk out your arse to make people happy. Probably could have been a little less blunt there though ;)

Arachnes' Acolyte

3 Year Member
Nah, you said what you felt and I'm sure the OP gets it, I'm dreading the day you tell me off! :D

I totally could understand the hostility twords people who do sillyness like that lol. Like I said..I saw the 1 video and I was not a happy camper! I'm glad everyone is on the same page lol. I said don't shoot me guys because the "H word" as I call it is a no no lmfao! Any semi respectable hobbyist or breeder would agree. So....like I said....just a misunderstanding I guess, no hard feelings. But he is right.....folks who do that.....maybe need to be shot XD!

Arachnes' Acolyte

3 Year Member
I totally could understand the hostility twords people who do sillyness like that lol. Like I said..I saw the 1 video and I was not a happy camper! I'm glad everyone is on the same page lol. I said don't shoot me guys because the "H word" as I call it is a no no lmfao! Any semi respectable hobbyist or breeder would agree. So....like I said....just a misunderstanding I guess, no hard feelings. But he is right.....folks who do that.....maybe need to be shot XD!

Lmfao..I wish I could have seen his face though.......probably gave me the ol' Hank Hill....."bwaaahhh dang it Bobby!"....priceless lol