• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Iridiopelma hirstutum anyone keeping these

Ghost

3 Year Member
I really like the look of these and I'm thinking about getting one,however this is a species that I haven't kept before and would like to hear from anyone keeping these as I really don't trust the care sheets that you get online.

I know they are aboreal and I have heard there like avics with attitude so was wondering if the setup would be the same as with avics any info would be appreciated.
Thanks in advance.

Poec54

3 Year Member
I used to have one, & would like to get more. Interesting species, and feisty too. The Avic group includes Iridopelma, Pachistopelma, Typhoclaena, and 4 new genera to be announced (versicolor will be in it's own genus, as will laeta. Diversipes will be a new genus with 2 other species, as will minatrix). My assumption is that care would be the same for all of them: cross ventilation, dry substrate, water bowl, and plenty of anchor points for spinning (cork, plastic plants, etc).

Enn49

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
I was looking at these last night and am considering buying one. The online shop in the UK selling a Juvi has this to say ''One of my very favourite tarantulas! They are just so cute. Beautiful colouring and I have never seen a hint of aggression. They are fast moving and jump around a lot. Although quite tricky as spiderlings they are no trouble once they grow a bit. They need a taller vivarium as they are arboreal and appreciate a higher humidity than most. Yes, this spider is expensive. It has now got to a good size, it is my last one, I am very fond of it and am more than happy to keep it if it does not sell! ''

Poec54

3 Year Member
The online shop in the UK selling a Juvi has this to say ''I have never seen a hint of aggression.

That's far from the norm. They are well-known for being very defensive/confrontational. Do not get one if you expect it to be docile and easy going. Do some looking online. To me, that kind of spirited personality is a big plus. To others it's a turn off. I have a bunch of Avics and would like to have some in that group that are defensive (I need to get some laeta too!).

A big breeder in the US described hirsutum as: 'Really angry pink toes. Even the slings will come out and threaten you."

That's my kind of spider.

Ghost

3 Year Member
I used to have one, & would like to get more. Interesting species, and feisty too. The Avic group includes Iridopelma, Pachistopelma, Typhoclaena, and 4 new genera to be announced (versicolor will be in it's own genus, as will laeta. Diversipes will be a new genus with 2 other species, as will minatrix). My assumption is that care would be the same for all of them: cross ventilation, dry substrate, water bowl, and plenty of anchor points for spinning (cork, plastic plants, etc).

Thanks for that poec54,i was thinking that the setup would probably be the same as for avics.

I think I will defiantly be getting one or two of these at some point soon!!

Ghost

3 Year Member
I was looking at these last night and am considering buying one. The online shop in the UK selling a Juvi has this to say ''One of my very favourite tarantulas! They are just so cute. Beautiful colouring and I have never seen a hint of aggression. They are fast moving and jump around a lot. Although quite tricky as spiderlings they are no trouble once they grow a bit. They need a taller vivarium as they are arboreal and appreciate a higher humidity than most. Yes, this spider is expensive. It has now got to a good size, it is my last one, I am very fond of it and am more than happy to keep it if it does not sell! ''

Hi Enn49,what is this guy calling expensive as the ones I was looking at didn't seem that expensive too me,I've paid more for a T in the past.

Enn49

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
It's on Virginia Cheeseman's site, it's a juvi at £50 but TSS have slings for £16

Ghost

3 Year Member
It's on Virginia Cheeseman's site, it's a juvi at £50 but TSS have slings for £16

Yes the ones I was looking at where on TSS,I don't check Virginia Cheeseman's site that often as most of her prices are crazy in my opinion.

Enn49

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Yes the ones I was looking at where on TSS,I don't check Virginia Cheeseman's site that often as most of her prices are crazy in my opinion.

I've never used her but she does seem chargey, cant fault TSS though.

As for info I agree it seems hard to find, I've spent hours over the last couple of days researching Ts that I'm tempted to buy.