• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Intro

Redsycthe

Hello ladies and gents,

Just want to introduce myself. I'm new to the hobby. Well... I started getting into tarantulas about 15 years ago. I had a G. Pulchripes, N. Coloratovillosus, and a C. Lividium way back when LOL. All were males. Then I had human children so priorities changed a bit. But my son who is 10 has really sparked an interest in Ts and the hobby. So it really is because of him I am back into the hobby. I have 2 daughters also who are currently picking out the Ts they want eventually. I am serious about keeping these furry beasts,and teaching my kids proper care and husbandry. I currently have

G. Pulchripes
N. Coloratovillosus
L. Parabayna
B. Aurteum
P. Spec Blue "Kazhur"
2× T.Albo

Sorry for the spelling, but all NW for me at this time. Slowly want some OWs but I love what I have now they are all slings and doing great. Thanks for reading this and I hope to chat with you guys in the future.

m0lsx

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Welcome back to the hobby, that is a lovely collection of T's you have. And good to see you are following the advice of the Zen masters, one T albo is never enough.

Redsycthe

Thank you all, I really love the fact you guys are super positive, and helpful. I was trolling for a while LOL. First question for anyone who could answer?

My daughter really wants a P. Platyomma "true"Pink Bloom. I'm having difficult time finding one. That species seems excessive with hybrids I count 37 different color variations on one breeders site. Just curious if anyone has one and how they are care and husbandry wise?

Thank you

octanejunkie

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Nice choice! Not common in the hobby and $$$
Be advised, a 1-2" "pair" will likely never be a breeding pair as M and F mature at different rates

Check basic care here

Redsycthe

Thanks octane, jeez!! Well she is my oldest and yes.... every freaking spider she likes is $$$. Color over...care and the cash LOL. My youngest daughter who is 8 years old just asked for a C Lividium LOL. Not happening, just explained to her you will never really see them and they are devil spawns. No chill all kill.

Casey K.

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Nice choice! Not common in the hobby and $$$
Be advised, a 1-2" "pair" will likely never be a breeding pair as M and F mature at different rates

Check basic care here

This is true, but if you slow the male down by keeping him at cooler temps and feeding him less often, you can power feed the female and increase temps on her so that she will outgrow the male and you can pretty much control their molt cycles by simulating their environments. This is a well known method that has been used by many breeders, including myself. :) Remember, the female doesn't always have to be bigger than the male to be "mature". There have been several successful pairings where the male was bigger than the female.

Redsycthe

Thanks Casey,

Definitely not looking for a "breeding pair". But I will say that I'm more prone to selecting the S. American species noting their feeding response is much greater, also growth rate. Love Brachys, but seem to be much more scared and finicky with their food. I'm currently feeding them cut, prekilled mealworms. My Brachy will sit away for a while before taking it. I have to give them the body part of the worm because it dies first after cutting it up. I give my P. Lasi and N. Coloratovillosus the head part because they need the movement and vibration. Seems to work. But LOL will not be on any breeding projects soon.