• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Inhaling hairs?

Jojo_Ts

Sorry if this has been asked before, I searched but I couldn't find anything.

I was doing a full clean of my B hamorii enclosure and I think I may have inhaled some urticating hairs because I suddenly started choking. My throat is a little sore now, but if it is hairs will it cause any problems or will my body just flush them out?

I have anxiety issues so it's worrying me a bit.

Enn49

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Try drinking a little bit of bicarbonate of soda in warm water, should help clear them.
Be assured hairs from a B. hamorii won't cause any lasting problems.

GarField000

3 Year Member
When I do a full cleanup I always have long sleeves and gloves on.
I never thought about inhaling though .... But I have never had any issue's with hairs.

They will nog give you any lasting problems so don't be to upset. It'll be ok.

thholyghst

A fear of mine as well! I got haired by my curly (was wearing gloves but short sleeves) and it got me in the ditch of my arm. It was miserable for a few days. Pretty sure I may be more sensitive so now I just suit up when I’m doing anything that requires more than watering. Long sleeves, gloves, protective glasses and a face mask. It may be overkill but my anxiety appreciates the extra precautions! If you’re concerned about breathing in the hairs I’d suggest at least just wearing a mask as you may be more sensitive than others.

Latest posts