• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Indian ornamental

TJB13

3 Year Member
I bought my first poecilotheria yesterday, simply labeled Indian ornamental. I have researched them before buying one but didn't know much on identifying the species. I've been looking at the ventral ID, as well as the carapace ID. I dont have a ventral pic of my tarantula but I did look and there wasn't a creamy band under the abdomen. I believe it to be striata. The tarantula's leg span is 3 inches roughly. Could the creamy band come later with age?
image.jpg

TJB13

3 Year Member
For sure. Been a lot of travelling and moving so I will let it chill for a while. Seemed very calm when doing transfers so hopefully it continues to cooperate. I will keep an eye out for that band. Thanks

TJB13

3 Year Member
image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg
Here are some ventral pics. Got some close ups on the leg pattern. Leg 1 is clear but leg 4 is quite blurry. Judging by the leg pattern it seems like regalis. What do you guys think?

DalilahBlue

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Not sure my dear. I have yet to develop the 'cojones' to dapple in pokies.

Totally working on it though. :D

We have several folks who can weigh in on this with Ceratogyrus.

TJB13

3 Year Member
I was fairly nervous when I got it from what I read about them. As well as the bite reports. Mine seems to be extremely calm, never ran while doing transfers. Hopefully it doesn't develop an attitude. That creamy band must start appearing with age. I was so certain it was striata but it was worth it to look a little closer. Thanks for the help.

Ceratogyrus

3 Year Member
Pokies aggression is so over rated. I have a few pokies (About 60) and hardly get any trouble from them. They really have a bad reputation but it is not warranted.
Check when it is a bit bigger and the leg markings are a bit clearer. Just a note of warning, I have often found that striata show a light band, often just after moulting, but it never develops as clearly as regalis does. Post some more pics once it has moulted.

Ceratogyrus

3 Year Member
Having a closer look now at the 4th leg and this could still be striata...
Give it another moult or 2 and have a look again.

TJB13

3 Year Member
60 is a good few. Regalis or striata I'm quite happy with the new purchase. Could be close to a molt for all I know. When I bought it it had over 10 crickets in the enclosure so might not have been eating and just got more thrown in. I cleaned it and redone everything. Now I'll stop annoying it.

TheGreatWhiteKoos

3 Year Member
I have a P.Regalis. I did not have any idea which pokie mine was but after the last molt I have a P.Regalis. After looking carefully at your pic I believe you have a one too. Mine has a leg span of 80mm (a bit more than 3") and only after the last molt the white band between the first pair of book lungs started to develop. Here is a photo of mine.
0.1.0 Poecilotheria Regalis Post Molt.jpg

TJB13

3 Year Member
Mine did molt but hasn't come out of hiding. I agree on the regalis now, hopefully I get a ventral shot soon. What's the striata camp all about Kenny?

Ceratogyrus

3 Year Member
Mine did molt but hasn't come out of hiding. I agree on the regalis now, hopefully I get a ventral shot soon. What's the striata camp all about Kenny?

Sure he means it could still be striata. See if you could post another ventral pic or two.

p.matalica

3 Year Member
It could be a Sri Lanka people at the pet store don't know what there talking about they just come clock.in go to work and clock out..I'm new to tue whole spider thing but i know anuff. My p.regalis is 4.5 inches and he has his cream band all ready I can post a pic if you like..my adult sri lo lanka looks like Tue p.regalis but no cream stripe on the under abdomen