• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Im so confused.

Robotbutterflies

Member
3 Year Member
Messages
56
Location
30067
About 6 years ago I bought an Aphonopelma chalcodes. Their abdomen at that time was pretty much completely bare. Since then, they acted very much like a chalcodes, they haven't eaten in almost 2 years. Two days ago they finally molted with me! Their coloring completely changed, so I thought they must be male in their final molt. Here's the thing, they aren't. No bulbus pedipalps, no tibial hooks. Their back legs are darker than their front legs, and the setae on their abdomen and legs are almost pink in color? They just don't look like a chalcodes! At least nothing I've heard of. Can anyone help me figure out what's going on? Have you run across this before?
 

Konstantin

Well-Known Member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Messages
1,025
Location
Preston,UK
Males are jet black not just the legs.
Its normal after moult colours to be vibrant and fade as time goes.
With such slow species it can be very dramatic change from tan to all over to black femurs,brown abdomen etc etc
They also have slihht colour variations between locality
 

Robotbutterflies

Member
3 Year Member
Messages
56
Location
30067
Males are jet black not just the legs.
Its normal after moult colours to be vibrant and fade as time goes.
With such slow species it can be very dramatic change from tan to all over to black femurs,brown abdomen etc etc
They also have slihht colour variations between locality
I suppose it could just be a color variation, but it was so unexpected. I've never seen a chalcodes like this.
 

Latest posts

Top