• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

I'm Part Of A Family Of Spider Lovers

Prudance

3 Year Member
Hello Everyone.

I have a family of 5, all of whom has a T or two. But really I think of them as all mine. All together our household has 11 tarantulas and they are all new world species. The most recent addition has a interesting story. She (we think probably a she) is a rescue spider and so her name is Rescue. We estimate her to be about 6.5 inches and is an L. parahybana.

Whoever owned her before abandoned her when they moved out of their apartment with all her stuff just days after a molt. One of the people working at the complex took her home and posted a "home needed" status to their facebook with pics. I'm not on fb but my friend is and so he sent me a text with the info. My husband and I drove 30 miles to get her that night so she wouldn't be locked in the garage over night. The guys wife wouldn't let Rescue in the house. Now she is with us in our habitat room. Her leg is injured and her fangs were still cherry red. Her leg has been superglued closed as she was loosing fluid. After a night in an ICU with much water drank she perked up quite a bit. She is a total sweetie albeit a little clumsy still. Now a few weeks later she is eating again. I am worried about how well she'll do during her next molt.

We are all in lover with her.

Sabeth

3 Year Member
Welcome and best of luck with your new T...what I've read is that, the further in advance of the next molt an injury can be repaired, the better the outcome when the T does molt again.

Prudance

3 Year Member
Thank you.

I think that as long as the glue holds and new leaks don't happen she'll do fine. The leakage was at one of the joints. Her old home was not appropriate and broken so we're going to do up a nice new home for her when I'm satisfied that her leg is holding together as she becomes more active.

Martin Oosthuysen

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
When I read stories Like these, I am so proud of some people willing to go the extra. Its only a tarantula most would say, nope its not its a living creature we as humans made our pet. Its our duty to care for them, if you aren't 100% committed not just for money but love of animals well bug off don't have them. :)

Prudance

3 Year Member
We thanked the guy who posted her pic for saving her. My husband is now fb friends with him and we keep him updated on how she is doing. His kids want to come visit Rescue and see out other tarantulas as well. Not only did we get a beautiful new T but some new friends too.

jon ross

3 Year Member
Aww thats so cool! Im so glad youve saved her. Thats one lucky t as most people just wouldnt care and would of either left it or killed it. Im very happy to have read this

jon ross

3 Year Member
How did you manage to glue her leg anyway?? Would be cool to see a pic of her (and your other) ;)

Martin Oosthuysen

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
SUPER GLUE AND INJURY REPAIR
Household super glue is the most essential item in the tarantula keeper's first aid kit. If your tarantula is injured due to a fall or other mishap, having super glue to mend the wound and clot the flow of hemolymph is imperative. Hemolymph is the tarantula's "blood" and it is a clearish-whitish-pale bluish liquid (depending on who is describing it). Careful application of super glue can even repair ruptures to the abdomen if the injury is caught immediately.

Found the above on the following link
http://www.tarantulas.com/first_aid.html

jon ross

3 Year Member
Ah cool. I just wondered how it was done, like how you hold it still enough to apply it without stressing her out too much. I know super glue was invented in the second world war to heal woulds. Im a mechanic and have used super glue to seal gashes before

Prudance

3 Year Member
The guy we picked her up from actually did the gluing. He told us she had gotten injured and we asked him about leakage, there was. When we told him what a big deal it was and how to fix it he ran out and got the superglue and patched her up. She is so chill I would imagine she just sat there and let the human do whatever.

It's the second leg injury we've dealt with. Our other t is also a pretty chill girl and just sat there while we took care of her. Some of the other things I've heard of people trying are clear nail polish, liquid bandage, talcum powder and vaseline. Those first two seem like they'd take to long to dry to seal effectively. The talc I can see working cause that stuff dries into freakin cement after getting wet.

In one of my T books the author recommends putting an irate T in the fridge for 5-10 mins to slow blood loss and anesthetize the spider.

I'll upload some pics and vids tonight. It'll take me some time to figure out how to do that.

AlyeskaWolf

3 Year Member
Hello Everyone.

I have a family of 5, all of whom has a T or two. But really I think of them as all mine. All together our household has 11 tarantulas and they are all new world species. The most recent addition has a interesting story. She (we think probably a she) is a rescue spider and so her name is Rescue. We estimate her to be about 6.5 inches and is an L. parahybana.

Whoever owned her before abandoned her when they moved out of their apartment with all her stuff just days after a molt. One of the people working at the complex took her home and posted a "home needed" status to their facebook with pics. I'm not on fb but my friend is and so he sent me a text with the info. My husband and I drove 30 miles to get her that night so she wouldn't be locked in the garage over night. The guys wife wouldn't let Rescue in the house. Now she is with us in our habitat room. Her leg is injured and her fangs were still cherry red. Her leg has been superglued closed as she was loosing fluid. After a night in an ICU with much water drank she perked up quite a bit. She is a total sweetie albeit a little clumsy still. Now a few weeks later she is eating again. I am worried about how well she'll do during her next molt.

We are all in lover with her.

Fantastic!

Prudance

3 Year Member
We have a G. pulchra, a G. rosea, a B. smithi, a C. cyaneopubescens, L. parahybana, an L. klugi, an A. avic, a Hapalopus sp. columbia, two Euathlus sp. red and one that was labeled B. albopilosum but I have my doubts. I think she was mislabeled. I up loaded some pics in the pics and vid section if you want to see them. :)

Josh

Administrator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Thanks for sharing that story! :) Welcome to the forum! Thanks for joining us!