• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

I'm new to the world of tarantulas, but eager to learn

Auntie Lori

3 Year Member
Howdy! I am a novice tarantula owner. My age is ... over 40 somewhere.
My tarantula, Mabel, was a gift (sorta?) from one of my son's friends.
Son's friend's mother said, "If you get another tarantula you have to get rid of one tarantula! You have too many of them! I don't care if you have to give one away!"
So, naturally, when the friend found another spider he couldn't live without he then asked his friends, "Hey, anyone want a tarantula?" My son said, "My Mom will take it. She takes in all kinds of animals.", which is technically true, but I've never taken on a tarantula before. Son looked at me, I looked at him, and the next day a tarantula arrived. I insisted that if I was to take on a tarantula that it would have to come with some sort of cage and feeding suggestions.
After looking at her and watching her explore her (escape proof) enclosure (graciously supplied by son's friend), I decided to name her Mabel. She was a pretty pink, but there was quite a bit of hair missing from the back of her abdomen.
She was 2 years old when she got here. After a few false starts and minor mistakes in spider care (If she could have spoken she would have said, "Too much light! Not enough privacy! Too many crickets!"), I got her enclosure properly outfitted and sited. I then made sure the humidity was balanced to her liking as well.
Mabel went without eating for 2 months after she got here and then ate a cricket a day for while.
We then had to move.
This bothered Mabel so much that she didn't eat for a year. She can be so stubborn. She must have let $25 worth of crickets die before she would eat a one.
She has recently taken up eating a cricket a day. About every 8 days or so she skips a day, just to keep us on our toes, I suppose.
Now I intend to find out what everyone else's experiences have been like with the tough little Chilean Rose.
I have a question for all of you: how often should Mabel be molting? Is it normal for her to go without molting for over a year? If she keeps on eating at this rate will she molt soon? What can I do to make sure her molt goes well?

Denny Dee

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Welcome aboard! I will let a Chilean Rose owner respond to you specifically on the molting. Adult T's really only need to eat once per week on the average. Your T has a very unusual feeding pattern. I would try to restrict it to a weekly feeding of 2 crickets to see how she does?

Auntie Lori

3 Year Member
Hi, Denny! I will cut down a bit and see how she does. Also, why do you have a series of spider names below your comment? Are those spiders you have had experience with? And what do the 0.1.0 number mean?

Denny Dee

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
These are spiders that are currently in my collection. The first number is male followed by female followed by unsexed. To add, go to profile and select signature.

LauraMI

3 Year Member
So will moving always affect tarantulas? We have to go just a block away in a few weeks I like to think my juveniles have enough disruption in their lives (i.e. My baby, being on dressers, dealing w/ my prying eyes...) to be pretty adaptable. Too, they eat like pigs, begging constantly!

Denny Dee

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Nah! Some don't seem to be affected at all. Others get very stressed. Kind of like people I suppose. Just make sure to limit the amount of motion on the move. I also suggest keeping them completely in the dark during the experience and gradually re-introducing them to light once you get settled. Sounds like yours have had good practice ;)

Tongue Flicker

3 Year Member
Got an adult female tarantula that takes more than a couple of years before it molts again. Yours must be really old then too hehe. Never had a year fast yet but i did have a few that fasted for 3-4 months without fail. Yes, like your experience, a lot of crickets went dead without being eaten. Thank goodness my hedgehogs and skinks eat anything lol