• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

I'm new and have a Pink Toe T

Eadaein

So yeah, she's pretty awesome. I am currently building an upgraded bioactive tank for her. I've been avoiding any reptiles, invertebrates etc because I currently maintain 20+ planted fish and shrimp tanks. I know when I start keeping something it's hard to stop at one. *Looks at her past with snakes, lizards and random insects*
I've grown up in Arizona so naturally that meant plenty of tarantulas running around. I'm an only child so these were all friends of mine lol. Recently someone made a post wanting to re-home their tarantula, they didn't have time for it anymore. I meet them and bought "her" right away. All I know is she's a pink toe and after research that name can refer to several species. Mine isn't a fluffy teddy bear so that helps me identify her better.
Working on that bioactive build, will share pics. I'm excited, even if it's way overbuilt for a T she deserves it.
Note: no idea if she's actually a female since I don't have other Pink toe It's too compare. Kept her shedding but couldn't identify from that.
Anyway... Excited to be here
(Wait, no one ever reads these into things... Why did I write this long bio lol. Smh)

Eadaein

I believe I have an avicularia avicularia pink toe tarantula after exhausting research... Ie happened to see an article from another owner with photos. It was an extensive 3 minutes of browsing tho!

Eadaein

Welcome to Arachnids Anonymous - no wait, owning Ts ain't a crime, why do we have to be anonymous? Avi Avis do indeed come in multiple morphs...Perhaps a photo? Then we maybe able to suss which darling you own.
I think it's the addiction to owning "the perfect T" or to having your top ten... Twenty... That make this the AA perhaps?
"Hi, my name is Ead, I have a Pink Toe T and want... *Unrolls long list* these."

I've watched videos and have seen fluffy lighter coloured ones, dark black ones like mine and everything in between. So I will happily get a photo of "her" for you! I would love to learn more about her morph.
I will hopefully post tomorrow.
Thanks!

Phil

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
welcome to the forum and the wonderful joy of having tarantulas in your life. I wouldn't have it any other way!

m0lsx

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Welcome to the forum & the Hobby. One of my favourite T's among my collection is my Aphonopelma chalcodes (Arizona Blonde.)

Konstantin

3 Year Member
Hi
welcome to the forum and the wonderful hobby.
Something to have in mind with Avic species is they need superb ventilation of their enclosure as humid and stuffy environment is known Avic killer.
Most people keep avics on bone dry substrate with waterdish and good ventilated enclosures.
Not the best species for bio active enclosures.
On the other side Psalmopoeus sp is good option but they are a bit more fast and nervous.
Regards Konstantin

Phil

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
excellent points @Konstantin. @Eadaein you can still get the same effect whilst keeping your Avic in optimum conditions through the use of artificial plants so just a slight change in direction will be better for the spider and just as effective for you. Win-win :)

Konstantin

3 Year Member
Also while I agree with having springtails in moist enclosures I am reluctant to add isopods of any kind.All Ts are extremely vulnerable during moult and shortly after.I would rather not risking it.
PS if your enclosure sustains springtails will be too wet for Avic.
Regards Konstantin

Latest posts