• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

I'm in trouble.....

Yeah, but the scientific names are necessary as there can be lots of confusion. I think that there is a species or species of Peruvian tarantulas that have been called Blue, Blue 2, Large, Small. But even science has messed up on some species.

I personally like the scientific names although there are some that are hard for me to say.

I will give you props.

I was searching for more Ts to purchase ( yes im addicted) and a certain online seller has
Malaysian blue femurs for sale- two different species, yet called them both Malaysian Blue femurs .
Yes im just going to purchase them both and use both the scientific name and common name Lol.

meridannight

True, however no one uses scientific names for OBTs or GBBs.

Matter of fact, no one uses them for other animals ; dogs , cats, birds, Elephants, Lions, tropical fish.

I do. Pteriochilus murinus. And I see plenty other guys do it as well. I don't know who GBB is, but probably a New World tarantula. I've only ever grown Old World species (with 2 exceptions), so I'm not very familiar with New World species.

As for the dogs, the household dogs are all just one single species -- canis familiaris. It makes no sense to use the scientific name if the breed name is more specific. X) Same goes for cats. And you do use scientific names for birds.

Common names for tarantulas are completely pointless.

I do. Pteriochilus murinus. And I see plenty other guys do it as well. I don't know who GBB is, but probably a New World tarantula. I've only ever grown Old World species (with 2 exceptions), so I'm not very familiar with New World species.

As for the dogs, the household dogs are all just one single species -- canis familiaris. It makes no sense to use the scientific name if the breed name is more specific. X) Same goes for cats. And you do use scientific names for birds.

Common names for tarantulas are completely pointless.

You do you.
I'll do me.

I will give you props.

I was searching for more Ts to purchase ( yes im addicted) and a certain online seller has
Malaysian blue femurs for sale- two different species, yet called them both Malaysian Blue femurs .
Yes im just going to purchase them both and use both the scientific name and common name Lol.
Common names have no place at all imo.
The deeper you dive into Asian old world you will find out that it's a huge mess. People selling as one thing and they aren't. Seriously you really have to get a deep hold on ability to do at the least a level of taxonomy to identify what you have if you intend to do anything more than just keeping spider's.
Do yourself a huge favor and for go the common names they are of no use at all. It will actually drive you nuts later on when all you see is common names and you can't find what you're looking for because you know the actual name of the spider your looking for.

For example there is "I'm using the three easy ones too" three cyripagopus/whatever other name change they have used.
You cannot tell them apart by site alone.
It really gets down to counting spikes on the metatarsal to help identify them, along with other means.
Lmao I feel like I'm going off the rails and venting. Sorry for that.
If I ever could offer a solid piece of advice to anyone getting into spiders it would be to learn and stick with the scientific name given.
It may seem nuts at first but you'll see that the more you communicate with others in the hobby that's all you will use and no one gets confused.

Common names have no place at all imo.
The deeper you dive into Asian old world you will find out that it's a huge mess. People selling as one thing and they aren't. Seriously you really have to get a deep hold on ability to do at the least a level of taxonomy to identify what you have if you intend to do anything more than just keeping spider's.
Do yourself a huge favor and for go the common names they are of no use at all. It will actually drive you nuts later on when all you see is common names and you can't find what you're looking for because you know the actual name of the spider your looking for.

For example there is "I'm using the three easy ones too" three cyripagopus/whatever other name change they have used.
You cannot tell them apart by site alone.
It really gets down to counting spikes on the metatarsal to help identify them, along with other means.
Lmao I feel like I'm going off the rails and venting. Sorry for that.
If I ever could offer a solid piece of advice to anyone getting into spiders it would be to learn and stick with the scientific name given.
It may seem nuts at first but you'll see that the more you communicate with others in the hobby that's all you will use and no one gets confused.

Common names sound 1000 times better than the latin names.

The majority of sellers use them.

I will continue to use common names.

Lmao!!!! Sounds like you have your mind made up. Best of luck to you. I'm done cluttering up this persons thread with something that's more than a personal opinion.

Its odd that no one says " dont use latin names" but certain people say " dont use common names"
They strikes as snobbery and karenhood.

Have a good one as i feed my Darth Maul T, or is it a Psalmopeus Victori........

Latest posts