• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

If I flip a tarantula which is lying on its back..?

SpearOfJustice

Okay so recently (about 3 days ago) I found my Chilean rose tarantula on her back (like in the molting process) and thought that she had fell over because she looked to be in pain and seemed like she was trying to get up and so I flipped her over. I know many people will tell me I did a really bad thing cause she was probably trying to molt but I didn’t see any splits on her carapace and after I flipped she seemed relieved. If she was trying to molt, and I flipped her, would she try to go on her back and try to molt again *IF* I disturbed her?

Hemolymph

3 Year Member
Looked to be in pain, was she giving you a facial expression? Maybe a tear? Tarantulas don’t feel pain. Never flip a tarantula over, they are fully capable of flipping over on their own. The carapace doesn’t split, it pops off. The abdomen may split or tear. Just leave her be, tarantulas have been doing their thing for millions of years without the aid of man. Just keep a water dish full.

FishermanSteve

3 Year Member
Okay so recently (about 3 days ago) I found my Chilean rose tarantula on her back (like in the molting process) and thought that she had fell over because she looked to be in pain and seemed like she was trying to get up and so I flipped her over. I know many people will tell me I did a really bad thing cause she was probably trying to molt but I didn’t see any splits on her carapace and after I flipped she seemed relieved. If she was trying to molt, and I flipped her, would she try to go on her back and try to molt again *IF* I disturbed her?
I’ve never done this so I can’t speak from experience but it seems like once the process is started they won’t stop. My guess is that the t would continue to molt upright. Every one of my terrestrials will lay down a molt mat, or a thick pad of webbing for them to molt on. Do you see this with yours?
Edit: I just saw your previous post. She does not look to be in very good shape and looks a lot closer to death than a molt. I don’t think she was molting IMO. I would keep trying to give her crickets, not spiders, and see if she comes around.

Last edited:

Jess S

1,000+ Post Club
She looks very dehydrated to me. Position her head over a full waterbowl and let her drink her fill.
In your other post you mentioned you were worried she could have substrate lodged in her mouth as she didn't eat the cricket. Well, another sign of dehydration is not being able to feed. I doubt she has substrate blocking access to her stomach like that but may have been desperately trying to suck moisture out of the substrate and that's why it was stuck on her mouth. What substrate do you use, as it looks very yellow, reminding me of woodshavings or sand.

Also, don't put a heat mat under the enclosure as it will dry out a dehydrated lethargic tarantula even more.

Good luck. Crossing my fingers for you.

Ps. Really hope none of the above came across as rude or abrupt. If so, it was because I typed it in a rush. I am rooting for you, as you care about your pet, so I hope she pulls through.

Last edited:

Arachnoclown

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Looked to be in pain, was she giving you a facial expression? Maybe a tear? Tarantulas don’t feel pain. Never flip a tarantula over, they are fully capable of flipping over on their own. The carapace doesn’t split, it pops off. The abdomen may split or tear. Just leave her be, tarantulas have been doing their thing for millions of years without the aid of man. Just keep a water dish full.
Brutally honest but accurate information. Maybe a little less sarcasm though.;)

Arachnoclown

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
I’ve never done this so I can’t speak from experience but it seems like once the process is started they won’t stop. My guess is that the t would continue to molt upright. Every one of my terrestrials will lay down a molt mat, or a thick pad of webbing for them to molt on. Do you see this with yours?
Edit: I just saw your previous post. She does not look to be in very good shape and looks a lot closer to death than a molt. I don’t think she was molting IMO. I would keep trying to give her crickets, not spiders, and see if she comes around.
They can flip back over sometimes depending on how far along they are.
They flip over for a reason...when they pump the fluids between the exoskeletons it makes it easier to get out. I've had some younger spider molt ok upright but the larger older spiders usually (not always) get stuck.
I once moved a spider that had flipped and then realized what happened. It died and never finished molting. I cant explain what happened but I dont think it was a coincidence that it just died. I believe touching , messing with and flipping can cause enough stress and internal injuries to end it life. I maybe wrong but that's how I feel.

Now the OP said they fed it a spider...about 1"(in the other post). Are we feeding your tarantula wild caught prey? Could you be poisoning your spider inadvertently? That would be my guess...prey items and dehydration due to poor diet.