• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Identification

Casey K.

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
OP you have a Brachypelma hamorri. There was a revision on this species a few years ago. The Brachypelma hamorri used to be known as Brachypelma smithi when Brachypelma annitha was still annitha. Now, what was known as Brachypelma smithi back then is now known as Brachypelma hamorri and they gave Brachypelma annitha the Brachypelma smithi title, instead.

It's confusing but if you read it carefully, you'll understand it, lol. :)

Hacks909

3 Year Member
OP you have a Brachypelma hamorri. There was a revision on this species a few years ago. The Brachypelma hamorri used to be known as Brachypelma smithi when Brachypelma annitha was still annitha. Now, what was known as Brachypelma smithi back then is now known as Brachypelma hamorri and they gave Brachypelma annitha the Brachypelma smithi title, instead.

It's confusing but if you read it carefully, you'll understand it, lol. :)
Thank you

WolfSpider

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I don't really understand the physical differences, although I'm sure some do. They look alike to me. However, I understand the locational differences: hamorii is located north of the Balsas River basin and smithi is located to the south. They are both found in a small habitat in the state of Guerrero.

Arachnoclown

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
I don't really understand the physical differences, although I'm sure some do. They look alike to me. However, I understand the locational differences: hamorii is located north of the Balsas River basin and smithi is located to the south. They are both found in a small habitat in the state of Guerrero.
Look at the photo of the two I posted..see the brownish bands on the Chelicerae (hamorri). The smithi I posted doesnt have that...Chelicerae is all black. Also if you don't have blood red knees it ain't a smithi...that ain't photoshop. :p :)

Phobik1

3 Year Member
Yes. I agree w Arachnoclown. The blood red knees on the Hamorii are a dead give away. My adult Smithi. (a beefy 6incher)
Orange knees.
20210121_194243.jpg
20210121_194157.jpg