• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

I really need some help...

Spencerific86

Im going to try and make this short.I ordered a Monocentropus Balfouri... I pre did enclosure to its preferred liking. AND THAN .. I get her/him ( hasnt molted for me to know ) Rehomed... as it entered the habitat... It didnt look like i expected!! Not that it isnt stunning. BUT not what i orepped enclosure for!!! So i did some research. I think i found the exact species BUT i really need to know for sure so i can care for it properly. Im worried and now having super anxiety that somethings going to happen to em :( Does anybody use this page that can message me and i can send photos??

Enn49

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
If you can post some photos on here there are lots of people who can help you.

Spencerific86

What species would you say she is ? ( Well im not sure if its a she after the fact he gave me the wrong T !! so i have to wait for the molt. IF something bad doesnt happen before than :(

Attachments

• Screenshot_20190427-043328_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20190427-043328_Gallery.jpg
    426.6 KB · Views: 44
  • Screenshot_20190427-045536_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20190427-045536_Gallery.jpg
    527.7 KB · Views: 42

Spencerific86

Yeah, that's not M. balfouri. I'd say it's Cyriopagopus lividus
I feel... Like a failure. I thought it was an
Cyriopagopus sp. Hati Hati-Purple Earth Tiger.
So how should the enclosure be ? Definitley not a Balfouri ... I wrote the guy a msg explaining he gave me the wrong one. but INSISTS its a balfouri . i uave a gut feeling hes a idiot. And im just concerned for my Lil buddies well being.

Nunua

3 Year Member

Nope, nope. I didn't think through before posting - Just edited my post and added sp. Hati Hati.
But no matter what the seller says, that's no balfouri. Sorry to hear that you got a wrong species.

Spencerific86

I mean... I was shocked. Not disappointed too much because its beautiful BUT i am Highly agitated that they made the mistake because I Dont have Barely ANY knowledge of this one . Id like to be able to care for em properly ya know...

Nunua

3 Year Member
I don't own any Cyriopagopus, but as far as I know, C. sp. Hati Hati needs a vertical cork bark for climbing and relatively thick layer of substrate for burrowing as they are arboreals with fossorial tendencies.
Main care is similar to any other Asian arboreal species - Overflow the water dish regularly to keep the substrate moist, but do not stare at humidity numbers :)

Last edited:

Enn49

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Probably the main difference between the 2 species is that the Cyriopagopus sp Hati Hati is an arboreal T although mine spends a lot of time at ground level still.

Phil

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
So how should the enclosure be ? Definitley not a Balfouri ... I wrote the guy a msg explaining he gave me the wrong one. but INSISTS its a balfouri . i uave a gut feeling hes a idiot. And im just concerned for my Lil buddies well being.
The failing is not yours. It is the sellers. And....if he is supposedly a retailer rather than a private sale, I think he should be named on the vendor reviews on this forum as he clearly does not have any clue what he is selling and others should be aware of that fact.
On a plus point, you do have a very pretty looking spider :) and so for optimum care, the advice already given about height and vertical hides will keep your spider happy.
If you want to use a GENUINE M. balfouri picture in trying to resolve any issues with the seller, you are free to use any of these of mine....
20190109_201634.jpg
20181209_183027.jpg
20160812_225944.jpg

I hope these help.

Spencerific86

O Mann!!! That balfouri is SO Beautiful!!! Im actually headed to them now. Apparently to him even woth the vivid pics i sent hes still saying its a balfouri. Ughk should be a fun trip!!! As soon as i get back i will post the vendors info so people stay away. My set up was not set up for this sp. after more time to think about it It infuriates me to think how many people have purchased specific Ts got them and didn't realize they got something different . what if they werent cautious enough to realize? What if they think they got a friendly new world. Not realizing its A super old world with bad attitude. bad things are happening to everyone Off of one specific person. Thankyou everyone for your kind words and help I am headed to get some more cork bark and another terrarium thats more suitable for em! Hopefully this perks em up :)

Phil

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
O Mann!!! That balfouri is SO Beautiful!!! Im actually headed to them now. Apparently to him even woth the vivid pics i sent hes still saying its a balfouri. Ughk should be a fun trip!!! As soon as i get back i will post the vendors info so people stay away. My set up was not set up for this sp. after more time to think about it It infuriates me to think how many people have purchased specific Ts got them and didn't realize they got something different . what if they werent cautious enough to realize? What if they think they got a friendly new world. Not realizing its A super old world with bad attitude. bad things are happening to everyone Off of one specific person. Thankyou everyone for your kind words and help I am headed to get some more cork bark and another terrarium thats more suitable for em! Hopefully this perks em up :)
Good luck. I hope you get the outcome you want. It may be as simple that he bought it as an M balfouri (obviously not knowing himself) and is just moving on what he believes he got in the first place?

Spencerific86

Driving there Now , So hopefully in a lil over an hour i will have the answers. Hoping it was an accident. If not i will never be going back and recommended it to everyone else as well. Shouldnt sell thing if u dont what they consist of especially tarantulas

Phil

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I could see how he says that. But the abdomen On mine is Violetish but Vibrant blue with black zig zags and a line down her abdomen.... Or is he right. This is awful
They do have similarities but hati hati would be my 'guess' too. What size is yours? The cobalts are pretty big. that pic I sent of mine is about 5inches. I think the hati hati typically smaller and lighter build due to their arboreal living. Terrestrial spiders like the cobalt are typically bulkier/heavier as they are built to dig and move earth rather then climb branches.

Spencerific86

They do have similarities but hati hati would be my 'guess' too. What size is yours? The cobalts are pretty big. that pic I sent of mine is about 5inches. I think the hati hati typically smaller and lighter build due to their arboreal living. Terrestrial spiders like the cobalt are typically bulkier/heavier as they are built to dig and move earth rather then climb branches.
Its about 2.5 to 3in . But not bulky I may have a better pic