• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

I never really gave an intro.

Jordylol

3 Year Member
Hey guys, my name is Jordan.. lawl. I'm 21 and from FL. Haha. This is me.
who.jpg
I woke up one random day really wanting a T for some reason so I did some research and got a Rose Hair.

I'm the girl in my avatar pic lol. It's funny because people act so surprised a girl 'like me' is so into things like this. I'm just like everyone else and I honestly really dig things people are afraid of... makes it more interesting to me I suppose.

I love all animals, big and small. I'm also a huge Godzilla fan hahaha.

Jordylol

3 Year Member
Here is my T, this was taken right before she snuggled into me. We stayed like this for awhile :)

Attachments

• cuddle spider.jpg
    cuddle spider.jpg
    68.6 KB · Views: 27

LauraMI

3 Year Member
What I do love about this is you are indeed the cutest thing...& w/ a tarantula. I had my perceptions too about people who were into these hobbies. I loved insects as a kid, even "adopting" wolf spiders each summer who lived in our shrubs, feeding them all season. I'd rescue earthworms from puddles even. But I was a pretty girlie-girl who loved her books and was socially awkward and so people made fun of me for the insect-fascination. (Watched Arachnophobia at a sleepover & my social-fate was sealed when I said "Awww" as the star-tarantula met her mate!)
So I kept it quiet & eventually forgot.
Then I go to an exotic pet show & see a young woman as pretty as you going balls-out into a bin of scorpions...unable to decide which she would get. Changed my perception completely!

So seriously now, what T is next on your list? Google "M. balfouri"!

Denny Dee

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Hey guys, my name is Jordan.. lawl. I'm 21 and from FL. Haha. This is me.View attachment 6393 I woke up one random day really wanting a T for some reason so I did some research and got a Rose Hair.

I'm the girl in my avatar pic lol. It's funny because people act so surprised a girl 'like me' is so into things like this. I'm just like everyone else and I honestly really dig things people are afraid of... makes it more interesting to me I suppose.

I love all animals, big and small. I'm also a huge Godzilla fan hahaha.

Hi Jordan, you are the first T owner that I know that just woke up and had the addiction BEFORE they had a T! :T:. You will have to be extra cautious or you will end up with a collection like mine. Welcome aboard!

Jordylol

3 Year Member
What I do love about this is you are indeed the cutest thing...& w/ a tarantula. I had my perceptions too about people who were into these hobbies. I loved insects as a kid, even "adopting" wolf spiders each summer who lived in our shrubs, feeding them all season. I'd rescue earthworms from puddles even. But I was a pretty girlie-girl who loved her books and was socially awkward and so people made fun of me for the insect-fascination. (Watched Arachnophobia at a sleepover & my social-fate was sealed when I said "Awww" as the star-tarantula met her mate!)
So I kept it quiet & eventually forgot.
Then I go to an exotic pet show & see a young woman as pretty as you going balls-out into a bin of scorpions...unable to decide which she would get. Changed my perception completely!

So seriously now, what T is next on your list? Google "M. balfouri"!
Thank you! you are quite beautiful. It's honestly pretty attractive that you are 'brave' and into spiders and other critters like this. I love it. I totally love it. and... so funny... I was just thinking about getting another one. I'll wait it out a couple months as my new girl settles in but I'll definitely look it up. As for now I kind of have my sights set on a mexican red knee. I'm just so in love with everything about these magnificent creatures. I want another spider that will let me handle her from time to time.

Hey jordan welcome aboard! :)
Thanks! :) happy to be here!!

Hi Jordan, you are the first T owner that I know that just woke up and had the addiction BEFORE they had a T! :T:. You will have to be extra cautious or you will end up with a collection like mine. Welcome aboard!
Yeah it was so strange... lol I just woke up and wanted one with all my heart. & yes I will as I already want another!! lol!

HungryGhost

3 Year Member
just googled M. balfouri. I like a lot too... do these get big also?
M. balfouri is a great looking T but it is not a good beginner T in any way. They are fast, defensive, and have potent venom. Holding one is never a good idea.
Scoolman's recommendation of G. pulchra is right on the money. Gorgeous T, hardy, long lived, and generally docile.

Jordylol

3 Year Member
Yeah I just looked up G. Pulchra and it seems perfect for me. ....M. balfouri is a beautiful T, but not really my choice. I want to be able to hold my spider from blue moon to blue moon. ya feel? that would be a fun species to just watch though :0

:)

LauraMI

3 Year Member
Yeah I just looked up G. Pulchra and it seems perfect for me. ....M. balfouri is a beautiful T, but not really my choice. I want to be able to hold my spider from blue moon to blue moon. ya feel? that would be a fun species to just watch though :0

:)
Yeah...I don't touch. My toddler touches me too much; when Husband or Cat come around I practically shudder! lol. Be in no hurry to reproduce!
I understand on the balfouri, that you want to hold them. I have a pulchra; love it, though it's been a pet hole until now, & is a bit skittish. Just over 2" though, do it'll calm as it gets bigger I guess.
I do love my B. vagans, & a smithii until someone here posted the most gorgeous B. emelia! Smithii came right off my list!
Have you been to mikesbasictarantulas? He actually talks about the hadalibilty of each T he covers.
& look into a L. Parahybana. Very cheap as slings ( mine was $3), very fast growers, & huge! Look up Hungry Ghosts thread, LP growth in pictures. Definitely not a flashier T, but a good one to watch grow from small size, & pretty docile once they hit the palm-size mark... Which takes less than 2 years.

Scoolman

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
G pulchra do mellow with age and size. They do seal themselves up when premolt, if you have given them a good hide or room to burrow. The rest of the time they are out in the open. While they are generally mellow, you must keep in mind they all have different temperaments, and they are wild animals. As such you can never predict their next move. Proportionally speaking, G pulchra have the largest fangs of any species (if they grew to the size of Theraphosa they would have 2" fangs); the mechanical damage of a bite is of far more concern than the venom. While I never recommend or advise anyone to hold a tarantula, I do admit I have on occasion held some of mine.
My largest female is a solid 7" leg span
41pqjGr95cK94qSvxSRdxvqI6oTPMrwaURSvPxoY1Dk=w583-h777-no

My palm is 4" wide
http://tarantulaforum.com/threads/g-pulchra.3481/#post-30551