• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

I need some help sorting this out! (Crickets & Ts)

Sabeth

3 Year Member
Okay, here's the thing...

I currently have a Mexican Red Knee. I am tentatively planning on purchasing a Chilean Gold Burst (3", like my Red Knee), as well as a Venezuelan Suntiger. The Suntiger is a 1" spiderling, so it will require pinhead crickets, not the medium-size crickets the other two will eat. Which means, I'll have to get two different cricket sizes.

My concern is that the pinheads will grow too big too fast for the spiderling to eat them all while they are still small enough (they come in containers of 36 minimum), and I'll be having to buy new ones so often that I'll be overrun! I don't want a cricket plantation.

My original thought was that I could just feed the bigger grown crickets to the two larger Ts, but since they only eat once a month (my B. smithi has not exceeded 6 per month, and this month she only took 4), I'm still worried I'll end up with way too many crickets since I will have bought more pinheads to feed the spiderling.

Would it do to feed the pinheads to the older Ts, and hopefully cut down on the cricket population that way? (I'm assuming it's okay to feed bigger Ts smaller food if you just feed more?) The other option I'm considering is to just not get the Suntiger spiderling.

Many thanks to anyone who's taken the time to read all my rambling! Any help is greatly appreciated. :)

Nada

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
the older Ts will probably ignore the Pins. Just give your sling a dead cricket cut in half. should eat it no problem.

Sabeth

3 Year Member
do you have pet store nearby that sell crickets? I get my small crickets from petco, you could also try FFF (flightless fruit flies)
I get my crickets from PetCo, too...but they only sell 36 at a time, which is too much for what I need.

Sabeth

3 Year Member
mine also sell them individually not just in the plastic containers I take it yours doesn't? is their any other pet store maybe you could get them their in smaller quantities.
Well, I'm going to PetCo on Friday so I will definitely ask them if I can purchase a smaller quantity! Thanks.

Sabeth

3 Year Member
Thank you, everybody...I will see if I can buy fewer at a time and if I can that just might be my fix. :)