• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

I need some advise

Encat

Hi,

I have a brachypelma smithi that I have owned for 8 years (since 2013) and I don't now how old (s)he was before I got it. I have never had any problems with my tarantula until now.

My tarantula molted in March and not long after I noticed that their left back leg was a weird color (white and furless) and it seemed like they can't stick to the glass with it so well. They have become more clumsier and have started dropping of the terrarium's glass sides more often. Today when I saw them drop off the glass once again I noticed something odd with their other back leg (right) and that is in a very odd angle and they kept walking on it's bending point which isn't normal at all.

Is there anything I can do about this? Apparently tarantulas do bite off their broken limbs... I don't know how I should go with this.

20210603_171643.jpg

TOTHEMOON11

Bad molts happen, if she needs to remove her leg she can do it herself. What I would be worried about is making sure there's not a fall risk with her falling off the sides alot. Make sure she can fall and hurt herself.

Encat

Bad molts happen, if she needs to remove her leg she can do it herself. What I would be worried about is making sure there's not a fall risk with her falling off the sides alot. Make sure she can fall and hurt herself.
Yeah, I will be doing some renovations in her terrarium during the weekend and making sure she can't fall on top of anything and hurting herself further. The terrariums walls are quite tall made of glass, do you know if there's a way to stop her climbing higher than a certain amount? My dad suggested some copper tape but I did some investigation and it's not a good idea because it can be poisonous... is there anything else that could work?

Teresaisrad

3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Yeah, I will be doing some renovations in her terrarium during the weekend and making sure she can't fall on top of anything and hurting herself further. The terrariums walls are quite tall made of glass, do you know if there's a way to stop her climbing higher than a certain amount? My dad suggested some copper tape but I did some investigation and it's not a good idea because it can be poisonous... is there anything else that could work?
I would fill the floor up with substrate leaving four or five inches of space from the top of the enclosure.

Latest posts