• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

I found a tarantula in my garage!

MelssaR

3 Year Member
image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg

I found a tarantula in my garage on the steps coming into the house and it was just sitting there not moving. I didn't want to kill it & my husband had no desire to kill her either so he caught her and put her in a large clear plastic storage container with holes in the lid. What do they eat? Does she need water? Should I put her out tomorrow? What do I do with her and anyone know what type of taranctula she is??

Scoolman

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Yes there are tarantulas in Nevada. It is in the genus Aphonopelma, but identifying it from a photograph is very difficult. They at small insects and will occasionally drink water. It may have enteRed your garage to escape the heat.

MelssaR

3 Year Member
Wow! Even in Northern Nevada? We get snow in the winter.

I don't think I would but I always wondered what's involved in keeping a tarantula as a pet. Aren't they venomous?

DalilahBlue

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
They are venomous, but most you encounter locally are not worse than a wasp sting. I advise letting it to so that it can continue breeding and making more baby tarantulas to support the local populations. Captive bred tarantulas are the most responsible way to go. If you are interested in learning more I recommend "The Tarantula Keepers Guide" by Schultz. It is awesome. :)

Sabeth

3 Year Member
That's a beautiful T!!! If you want to, you can put together a pretty basic set-up with a large ventilated plastic container (a tight-fitting lid is a must), some dry substrate (coco fiber, or Eco-Earth, is good), and a water dish. A hiding place is optional but the tarantula may appreciate it. For long-term keeping, the cage's width should be about twice the spider's leg span, and the height should be about twice the width. A few crickets a month will sustain it just fine.

BigTGirl93

3 Year Member
Very beautiful T! I'm very glad you and your husband didn't decide to kill it and instead are curious about them, since this T is wild and not captive bred I would suggest letting him go as well, I mean it wouldn't hurt to keep him, but may not be the best first T. But decision is up to you. I would defiantly get the Tarantula Keepers Guide and read up on T's and get as obsessed as all of us are lol :p maybe one day you will become so hooked on them that you will get your own!

BigTGirl93

3 Year Member
I was thinking the same thing guys, I wish I would just walk into my garage or on my porch and see all these beauties! lol. Id have to move out of Maryland though, not much T action here except for the ones in my room lol :p:D