• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Howdy, new Pink Toe

Rasp

Hi, I just got this juvie Pink Toe. Pretty sure male. Has a Chilean Rose Haired as a kid, decided to give ownership another go. I’ve taken care of many spiders as I spent a few years working at a pet store that always carried several types at the same time.
Attached a couple pics. Still deciding how to do up its tank. I’ve read that mesh tops are bad for climbers, but in looking at acrylic, not sure how to keep them warm

Attachments

• IMG_0074.jpeg
    IMG_0074.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 18
  • IMG_0093.jpeg
    IMG_0093.jpeg
    4 MB · Views: 17

PanzoN88

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
If the room the tarantula is in is around the 70s, it will be fine. If you must use supplemental heating, a space heater is the best option. If the temperature dips into the 60s, it’s no big deal.

Rasp

If the room the tarantula is in is around the 70s, it will be fine. If you must use supplemental heating, a space heater is the best option. If the temperature dips into the 60s, it’s no big deal.
Thanks, I've been reading that here. It probably gets no lower than about 65 in there, but I can use the heater. I also have an under tank 4W heating pad so Yeah I'll ditch the heating lamp and see what happens.

m0lsx

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
I also have an under tank 4W heating pad so Yeah I'll ditch the heating lamp and see what happens.

For your T's sake, please don't ever use under tank heating. In nature under soil heating is non existent, so a tarantulas natural instinct, if it gets too warm, is to burrow into the cool soil. Thus, if we use under tank heating, we put our T's at significant risk of being cooked alive. As they do not understand what is happening & burrowing during heat is a natural survival instinct.

If you really feel compelled to use a heat mat, place it across part of a side, or back & above substrate level. Give your T a choice of warmer or cooler.

Rasp

For your T's sake, please don't ever use under tank heating. In nature under soil heating is non existent, so a tarantulas natural instinct, if it gets too warm, is to burrow into the cool soil. Thus, if we use under tank heating, we put our T's at significant risk of being cooked alive. As they do not understand what is happening & burrowing during heat is a natural survival instinct.

If you really feel compelled to use a heat mat, place it across part of a side, or back & above substrate level. Give your T a choice of warmer or cooler.
Do pink toe burrow? And it’s usually relative cool in the room

m0lsx

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Do pink toe burrow? And it’s usually relative cool in the room

Depending upon age & species, there is more than one T with the common name, pink toe. So, yes, some will burrow more often than others. But NEVER put a heat mat under a T's enclosure. Heat rises, so there is no escape for them.

Generally arboreal slings & Juvies, not uncommonly borrow. The same can happen with more mature arboreals, if they feel there is a lack of cover higher up. But even if everything is right, T's are like humans, they all have their own character & behaviour patterns, so burrowing at the bottom of vertical bark, is not unheard of.

Heating the area, not the enclosure, is the best. I had no heat in our lounge, where we keep our T's until last winter & simply kept the lounge door open & that was sufficient to keep our T's happy all through a UK winter. On the coldest nights (sub minus 2 degrees outside.) I did use a heating cable around the shelving & close to, but not touching the enclosures. But only used it on a few occasions & found that all of our T's seemed to be equally happy without the extra heat. So I stopped. In general, if it's warm enough for an average human, in a t shirt, (or similar) then it's warm enough for a T.

We had fewer winter molts without any heating in here, but the difference is not significant.

Don't forget the that just because some T's live in areas where temperatures are 40F+ (100C+.) It does not mean they live in full sun, or thrive in those temperatures all day, every day. Deserts can have very cold nights & trees produce microclimates within their cover.

Rasp

Changed it up a little. He’s already eaten and doesn’t seem stressed. Doesn’t seem timid and doesn’t mind my presence around him
IMG_0114.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_0111.jpeg
    IMG_0111.jpeg
    2.5 MB · Views: 7