• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

How widespread is cricket shortage?

DustyD

1,000+ Post Club
Tarantula Club Member
Lol that's a lot of crickets. Then you have a lot of mouths to feed.

So maybe it is just the local pet stores that are having issues. And while it is more expensive to buy a few at a time, I only have six tarantulas so keeping a lot would not make sense. I have about 10 really small crickets I got and trying my hand at growing them bigger. Just a small experiment. For my Ts I mostly use superworms that I disable.

Oursapoil

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Lol that's a lot of crickets. Then you have a lot of mouths to feed.

So maybe it is just the local pet stores that are having issues. And while it is more expensive to buy a few at a time, I only have six tarantulas so keeping a lot would not make sense. I have about 10 really small crickets I got and trying my hand at growing them bigger. Just a small experiment. For my Ts I mostly use superworms that I disable.
About 100 Ts to feed as well as a very hungry bearded dragon :) I alternate between crickets and dubia roaches for a better diet (dubias are more nutritious).

DustyD

1,000+ Post Club
Tarantula Club Member
I had thought of trying roaches, but I don't think I can just buy a few at a time and admittedly I and family members don't like the idea of raising roaches or more to the point, of them getting out. I am probably biased on that point.

octanejunkie

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
I had thought of trying roaches, but I don't think I can just buy a few at a time and admittedly I and family members don't like the idea of raising roaches or more to the point, of them getting out. I am probably biased on that point.
I keep and raise roaches (B lateralis) following instructions posted by Alex on Tarantula Haven. A sterilize bin with a vented lid. B lateralis cannot fly or climb smooth surfaces, so the only chance of escape would be due the keepers negligence.

timc

3 Year Member
Dubia roaches are noninvasive if that helps convince someone in your household they’re ok (it has assuredly not convinced someone in mine), and a lot of people end up enjoying their colonies just as much as the animals they’re feeding them to.

MBullock

3 Year Member
it really sucks when you have stuff that will only accept crickets but can only get roaches or larvae, lol. If it gets bad enough i'll have to just breed the local gryllodes here.

DustyD

1,000+ Post Club
Tarantula Club Member
For most of the three months I have had tarantulas I have been feeding them incapacitated superworms. A few times crickets, but for the longest time my now 2_3" + Ts were skittish and ran to the hide when I went to feed them. Also there was a lot of time spent in hiding. They all seem more active above ground ( summer heat I guess) so I will be trying more crickets, when I can get some of decent size. I likely will try to drop a cricket nearby and hope they sense it. I am perhaps overly cautious about tong feeding them out of concern for fang-metal tong interaction.

Sherito

My local pet store and at least one chain pet store here in Maine have been reporting a shortage of crickets.

It seems to happen from time to time. I am not sure where else is affected or why. I also don't know if any of this is pandemic- related as it seems to have been last year, based on information I read on this forum.

I will be trying superworms, which seem easiest to keep and don't require refridgeration. One of my three 1.5-2" tarantulas has been eating pre-killed crickets anyway (and maybe alive ones) so I will try prekilled superworms.

Another T has barricaded herself in her den. One mound covering an exit was built up the other day to about three times the height it was previously. I tried not to take it personally. Will try prekilled superworms.

My third T (G. rosea) arrived yesterday and is still leaning on the walls.
I will wait until tomorrow to feed the three. Today I bought 50 superworms ( the smallest amount) and will get them set with food and moisture tonight to help fatten them up, hopefully.
Are you close to the Lewiston/Auburn area? Mr. Drew's Exotic Animal Rescue on Lisbon Street in Lewiston raises crickets and Dubia roaches and sells them. You can purchase a small amount. He usually sells them by the dozen.

DustyD

1,000+ Post Club
Tarantula Club Member
Are you close to the Lewiston/Auburn area? Mr. Drew's Exotic Animal Rescue on Lisbon Street in Lewiston raises crickets and Dubia roaches and sells them. You can purchase a small amount. He usually sells them by the dozen.
Thanks for the suggestion. I am in Portland area so a bit of a drive. It may be worth a trip. We shall see. I have not checked with my locally run pet store if it sells smaller amounts of roaches, besides the 25 roach cups.

Tomoran

3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
So anyone else seeing a shortage of crickets? Three of four pet stores near me have stopped selling crickets, one a mom and pop and two chain.
I just picked up a box of 1000 of them today from my local pet store. The owner has been consistently getting them in without issue. So far, it hasn't been an issue here. Fingers crossed that it remains that way.

Ej87

I just picked up a box of 1000 of them today from my local pet store. The owner has been consistently getting them in without issue. So far, it hasn't been an issue here. Fingers crossed that it remains that way.
What is the name of the pet store? Just curious cause I live in ct also

Latest posts