• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

How to judge fatness in long tarantulas?

Gizalba

3 Year Member
Haha,

I have been finding it easier to judge when to feed based on the size of the abdomen, as what/when to feed seems to vary so much depending on how big the last meal was, prey size, prey type, tarantula preference etc. However for both my Neoholothele incei gold and Ceratogyrus darlingi, I find it hard to judge as their bodies seem to grow longer rather than wider. I think I saw someone on here mention the other day that if the abdomen is any more than twice the size of the carapace, then you should ease off on the food? My C. darlingi seems to have stopped eating now and gone into pre-moult, so I have stopped worrying so much. However this is my N. incei, Allegro. Is she getting obese? She always rushes out for food when I take the lid off and dives on it. I have posted a few pics because like us humans of course, she looks different fatness from different angles :p These pics were all taken within the same minute. She is about 4cm leg-span.

DSC01645 - Copy.JPG

DSC01643 - Copy.JPG

DSC01648 - Copy.JPG

Arachnoclown

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
That spider looks well fed. I like my spiders abdomens to look a little larger then the carapace. Over feeding can lead to a abdominal rupture, thats what I believe happend to this lady.
IMG_3270.jpg

Gizalba

3 Year Member
That spider looks well fed. I like my spiders abdomens to look a little larger then the carapace. Over feeding can lead to a abdominal rupture, thats what I believe happend to this lady.View attachment 53781

Thanks very much for the info, I will indeed cut back on the food then! She hasn't been fed in over a week now, just in case, but I will wait until she gets a bit slimmer again.

Latest posts