• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

How to heat in the winter

Gage_blevins

I have a an H. Mac sling i just got and he seems to be doing great. It summer time now so without ac the room stays perfect temp. But im worried about this virginia weather in the winter. How could i keep him warm other than turning on the heat in the room. Im worried about a heat mat being too hot but i guess i could put a couple tiles on top of it to reduce heat. Any tips on this species too?

Enn49

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
The general rule is that if the room is warm enough for you to sit comfortably, it's warm enough for them. Aheat mat should be used only as a last resort, always with a thermostat to prevent overheating and either on the back or side of the Ts container.

PanzoN88

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
What @Enn49 said.

If you must use additional heating, a space heater is the best option. Never use other heating devices like heat lamps (they are meant for reptiles or the bottom of the lake).

Whitelightning777

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I haven't experimented with them, but heat cabinets of the sort used for orchids and so on may well be a great alternative.

If you do heat, don't be afraid to monitor your temp and humidity with a digital gauge only. The water dish must be checked twice a day. Thermostats work, but I've found that voltage controller switches provide a smoother heat because the thing isn't always cycling off an on all the time.

Thermostats are a good safety precaution.

Measure the temps. Find the perfect setting and keep it there.

PM me for more info if interested. There are gotchas with this and without it.

I have a video of a somewhat finicky but bet safe set of tactics that enable heating to be done to any T cage tested and used on all of mine. It raises hell every time I share it publicly so it's only going to be shown be request only one individual at a time.

You can't use any type of contact heat with plastic or acrylic, glass only.

The lamps are only safe if they are 8 inches away from anything the T can touch, 25 watt or less and controlled by a dimmer switch. Hot spots must be avoided by checking every square inch of every feature in the cage by hand or digital thermometer.

Last edited: