• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

How small is a male Rosea's abdomen supposed to be?

Pider

3 Year Member
So about a little more than a week ago my 6 month old G. Rosea molted for the first time in my care

He came out very gorgeous, and now owns a set of spurs and bulbs at the end of his pedipalps– and not shockingly, a smaller abdomen.

Also not surprisingly, he has NEVER eaten since I got him at all (little over a month ago) and continues to refuse food though his fangs are black from what I can see.
I realize the whole "weirdly fasting G.Rosea" is so totally not uncommon at all, and I'm probably being overly worried, however I don't think it hurts much to ask the proper sizes of a male T's abdomen as I have read over and over that they are smaller body wise.

Also, I'll add that for whatever reason he never extends his fangs during a defensive posture (just started doing those after molt, my cute Jekyll and Hyde) and I'm not sure if that matters at all but some have sworn to me that theirs almost always do this and it adds to the worry that a fang problem may have occurred during molting.

I would greatly appreciate any clarifications on this. Thank you!

TJB13

3 Year Member
t's 003.JPG

TJB13

3 Year Member
My male rarely ate. I only had him for a month before he was eaten. I never once seen a threat posture from him. The only time he would run was when a huge female was tapping in front of him.

Tgirl1010

3 Year Member
Sometimes it takes an adult t several weeks to start eating after a molt. I would try once a week to feed him. Take out any uneaten prey after 24 hours. Make sure his water dish stays full. I feed my MM G rosea every week or two. He is really healthy looking for a mature male. I got him already mature 2 years ago. Not sure how long he had been mature at that point. I lost another MM G rosea this past December when he died trying to perform a post ultimate molt after 3 years mature. I fed him the same way.

Pider

3 Year Member
My male rarely ate. I only had him for a month before he was eaten. I never once seen a threat posture from him. The only time he would run was when a huge female was tapping in front of him.
Thank you very much for the reference picture!

Pider

3 Year Member
Sometimes it takes an adult t several weeks to start eating after a molt. I would try once a week to feed him. Take out any uneaten prey after 24 hours. Make sure his water dish stays full. I feed my MM G rosea every week or two. He is really healthy looking for a mature male. I got him already mature 2 years ago. Not sure how long he had been mature at that point. I lost another MM G rosea this past December when he died trying to perform a post ultimate molt after 3 years mature. I fed him the same way.

Thank you for the advice!
Sorry for your male :c