• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

How long to wait before checking if it’s dead?

Arachnoclown

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
OP said it's wildcaught so it can't really be a sling.

I've seen slings < 1" stay burried for in excess of 3 months (not to suggest it's regular, but possible, sure)
Lmao....really!!!! Slings can be wild caught all the time. I've got many myself on vacation. @MassExodus has them in his backyard.

Tabitha

3 Year Member
Thanks guys, I’m so pleased, it’s gone from ugly duckling to a beautiful swan! I only saw it for about five seconds when I put it in the Viv so I’m so excited to see how beautiful it is, rather like a vagans I suppose.
Thanks again! It’s a happy day!

Tabitha

3 Year Member
That is a beautiful specimen, I must say.
Thank you, I was so surprised to see it, him, her I just grabbed the iPad for a photo but I hope it will now be out and about and I can get some more shots to show how beautiful it is.
It’s got some very subtle and classy colours for sure! :)

spodermin

Thank you, I was so surprised to see it, him, her I just grabbed the iPad for a photo but I hope it will now be out and about and I can get some more shots to show how beautiful it is.
It’s got some very subtle and classy colours for sure! :)

Dude, just open the hide and sex the molt lmao

Tabitha

3 Year Member
Dude, just open the hide and sex the molt lmao
Haha! Yes, but it was only yesterday I saw it to confirm it wasn’t dead, so i was waiting for the T to feed etc, I will try and fish it out now, trouble is the hide is fairly big and covered in substrate and stuff, so lifting it up will really be a mess, it’s hard to explain, it’s not just lift it and grab it sadly, I wish it was or maybe I can remove this hide and replace it with something that would make retrieving a molt easier for me and the T but I’ll have a go.

spodermin

Haha! Yes, but it was only yesterday I saw it to confirm it wasn’t dead, so i was waiting for the T to feed etc, I will try and fish it out now, trouble is the hide is fairly big and covered in substrate and stuff, so lifting it up will really be a mess, it’s hard to explain, it’s not just lift it and grab it sadly, I wish it was or maybe I can remove this hide and replace it with something that would make retrieving a molt easier for me and the T but I’ll have a go.

Yeah I get that, one of my T. Stirmis has a reinforced tunnel hide that would be next to impossible to get inside. But if there was a molt in there to sex Id probably go for it regardless. I love seeing how they patch things up

Tabitha

3 Year Member
Yeah I get that, one of my T. Stirmis has a reinforced tunnel hide that would be next to impossible to get inside. But if there was a molt in there to sex Id probably go for it regardless. I love seeing how they patch things up
This is one of those things I learn as I go along, when you design an enclosure or make up a tank, I never thought about the details like ease of management, now I make sure I look for a hide with one entrance so I can block it with the T inside so I can work in there safer or a hide that is removable if I had to, unlikely sometimes but I like to have a few options available, I just didn’t realise when I first started keeping them, there’s little things you might do to make life safer for the T and yourself, still that is the nature of doing stuff and learning! :) All good fun!