• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

How long can tarantulas go without food?

THETGUY

How long can a T go without food. I'm leaving for a month and I want to know what species of Ts can survive. Any tips on what I should do with the T's before I leave?

Mr. P

3 Year Member
The problem isn't food as a T can go 6 months to a year without eating (not recommended) Your problem is going to be water, T's always need fresh water and at the temps they are kept even a large water dish will evaporate before a month goes by.

Whitelightning777

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
You can put a towel or large rag over the cages to slow down evaporation. If you can add water without opening your enclosure, a trustworthy friend or family member can check on them twice a week. I'd definitely leave the A/C on and maybe cool them down a bit.

Many species will fast for months whether you like it or not. G rosea being world famous for pulling that stunt.

Jess S

1,000+ Post Club
Maybe use the false bottom method to add extra water to your enclosures, without turning them into swamps, if you don't already utilise this method. It's worth it, even if it means rehousing. Plus extra water bowls.

A month mid summer is a long time though for anything to go without rewatering. As others have pointed out. So many factors can cause the need for more water - mature males need more hydration, some species like to bury their water dishes, a heat wave leads to faster evaporation.

If you know anyone who can water your T's while you're gone, that would be the best way forward. Or maybe reach out to your fellow New Yorker hobbyists. Someone may be willing to babysit for you! I wish I could as it would be great experience for me, but alas, I'm in the UK.

THETGUY

You can put a towel or large rag over the cages to slow down evaporation. If you can add water without opening your enclosure, a trustworthy friend or family member can check on them twice a week. I'd definitely leave the A/C on and maybe cool them down a bit.

Many species will fast for months whether you like it or not. G rosea being world famous for pulling that stunt.
Yeah I have a friend that can keep it... It's just that the last time I gave him my pet mantises to take care of, 5 out of the 8 budwing mantises died in the two weeks...

MassExodus

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I went to the expo today and got a tailless whip scorpion. Any info on those?
Awesome animals, wait til you see them hit prey, nothing compares to their strike. I'd leave 3-4 red runners in the enclosure, mist it liberally, and leave the biggest possible dish full of water..honestly I'm not confident about leaving one for a month, I misted mine every 2-3 days, but it SHOULD be ok..they have to be pretty hardy, coming from Africa.

Jess S

1,000+ Post Club
Yeah I have a friend that can keep it... It's just that the last time I gave him my pet mantises to take care of, 5 out of the 8 budwing mantises died in the two weeks...

Ah, mantises can be tricky to keep alive. How badly can he mess up adding water 1-2x per week? Lol lol
Unless he totally forgets, that is. Maybe you'll need to text to remind him lol.
I totally understand your hesitation. You must massively not trust him if you consider leaving them go the month to be the safer choice. My commiserations. I really feel for you!

Has anyone on the forum ever left their T for a month + it was fine when they got back?

I did read a post somewhere online where a guy left his (it was either a) G. rosea or porterii to go to college (or maybe prison lol, wish I could remember) with his unreliable brother. 2 whole years later, our hero returns to find that his brother had forgotten to feed and water it, and it was still alive. Now, I'm not sure if that is completely true (it must have been getting water from somewhere) , but just shows the hardiness of some species. I

THETGUY

The mantises were L5 and really easy to take care of. And I also gave him a Chinese mantis egg sack, and unfortunately all 200 of the babies died

THETGUY

Awesome animals, wait til you see them hit prey, nothing compares to their strike. I'd leave 3-4 red runners in the enclosure, mist it liberally, and leave the biggest possible dish full of water..honestly I'm not confident about leaving one for a month, I misted mine every 2-3 days, but it SHOULD be ok..they have to be pretty hardy, coming from Africa.

There is no way I'm going to hold my tailless whip scorpion. It impaled a cricket completely. I wonder what it will do to my hand. And yes Mass Exodus, it is amazing to watch them strike.

MassExodus

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
There is no way I'm going to hold my tailless whip scorpion. It impaled a cricket completely. I wonder what it will do to my hand. And yes Mass Exodus, it is amazing to watch them strike.
If you move slowly, and let them run their antennas over your hand, you can hold them all day. Ive held several adults many many times, not once have they went into a strike pose or gotten aggresive. They spook easily.

Latest posts