• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

How long can a mealworm survive inside a tarantula enclosure

wiehbensosgnwj

I dropped a mealworm into the enclosure of my juvenile Lasiodora parahybana a couple day ago and she started showing signs of premolt today. I've heard horror stories of mealworms eating tarantulas and i'm terrified that it's going to try to eat mine while she's molting. There's about 6 inches of substrate in the enclosure so there is no way i'll be able to find it.

m0lsx

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Always cut the heads off, or crush the head of, mealworms, this stops them burying themselves. It is not the mealworm that causes the real issues with T's, but the beetles that they become. Also if you have a juvenile, then feed live food, small crickets, or I sometimes feed young & tiny roaches, again with the roaches head squashed. A roach will survive for days, potentially some scientists say for up to 2 weeks without a head.

ilovebrachys

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I don't have experience of this myself but I did read on another thread that putting some food in for the worm might help, like a carrot or something? To make it resurface so you can get it out.
You are right :) @Arachnoclown has mentioned before about putting food in for them and when they come to feed you can get them out that way :)