• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

How long before declaring dead?

SpunkySpider

Hello everyone,

I’m sad/worried about my female
Grammostola pulchra, who I believe has died, but I know tarantulas can surprise you.

She has her legs mostly curled under her and does not move even when touched. I just completed a 700 mile move with her in a small enclosure I’ve moved her in before. She was in the car or house with a/c the entire trip, but when I went to put her back in her large tank, she was like this. I put wet paper towels around and near her and no change.

I feel terrible- I’ve moved her multiple times, but I've had her over 20 years and I should have considered that she’d be more fragile now. I worry her hydration was not proper or she stressed or who knows.

Her abdomen near her Spinnerets is turning white today. I feel that’s not a good sign. She’s never looked like this.

Is there any hope left, or has Spunky died?
Thanks.

Rs50matt

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Can you post pictures? Is the white by the spinnerets mold or poo? Atm it's hard to say anything or give advice ,sorry :(

SpunkySpider

Can you post pictures? Is the white by the spinnerets mold or poo? Atm it's hard to say anything or give advice ,sorry :(

Here you go. Every time I look at her I feel less optimistic.
D950C823-73AB-48D4-B6BB-5B389972256E.jpeg

Rs50matt

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Sorry to say but imo I'd say she has passed. You've had her for a long time and she looks good so I'd say it was just her time.

You could leave her for a few days to make absolutely sure and hopefully I am wrong

SpunkySpider

Sorry to say but imo I'd say she has passed. You've had her for a long time and she looks good so I'd say it was just her time.

You could leave her for a few days to make absolutely sure and hopefully I am wrong

I’ve been watching and hoping for a few days, and am wondering how long I should continue that. Thanks for your comforting words- I feel terrible since she was definitely alive at the beginning of the move.

Casey K.

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
That appears to be some type of mold growing on her abdomen. She is along the older age for her genus. Sometimes they can live longer but I'd say 20 years was a good run for her. Terribly sorry for your loss. :( You'll know for certain when she starts to have that "decaying" smell. It's awful. I hope you find a new T baby soon. Perhaps a G. pulchra sling will help you feel better. It won't replace the one you lost but certainly can make a difference in how you feel just watching the baby grow! :)