• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

How long after molting...

Sara Brown

3 Year Member
How long after molting before I can move my goliath bird eating out of her terrarium to make some repairs? I got her last minute and didn't have enough substrate. Now I'd like to add some to deepen it. But she molted shortly after I got her (last Wednesday night). I don't want to disturb her too soon. I've read 5-7 days. But others say more like 14-16.

Chubbs

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
About a week should be fine. Enjoy those urticating hairs [emoji14] I'm also willing to bet you probably have a Theraphosa stirmi (Burgundy bird eater) and not a true Goliath. T.blondi is very rare and most that are sold as such are really T.stirmi. Still an impressive spider regardless.

Sara Brown

3 Year Member
I do believe it is a T. Stirmi. I was reading the differences and I'm almost positive she is. I guess I should refer to her as such. ;) I didn't realize they were referred to as Burgundy bird eaters. And THANKS!

Chubbs

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
No problem. Sadly, the true Goliath Bird Eater is extremely difficult to find. Or perhaps it's a good thing. I have heard that T.stirmi is a lot less delicate than T.blondi.

Sara Brown

3 Year Member
Well, she's mad at me. But we got it done. She tried to fling her hairs and hissed at me. But she now has a better enclosure. Still not perfect. But I need to buy some more things to do that. And being in the middle of nowhere means it takes longer.

Question. Someone told me she would turn Brown again after gardening from her molt. (She was a chocolate color and is now very black) is been a week and she's still black. Any idea how long before she turns brown again? I'm just curious. She's beautiful black. But I'm having a hard time seeing how she'll turn brown.

kaz

3 Year Member
I've found with my Ts that their colour does dull alot the longer after a molt, my G. Rosea had almost pink looking hairs straight after but three weeks or so later she looks more brown haired again!! My red knee looses all its red nearer a molt and looks a dull orange brown. I guess their colour is most vibrant straight after a molt. This Is just my speculation!!

Last edited:

Latest posts