• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

How do I get him off the lid?

SpiderMom13

We (I mean my son) have a young hamorri or smithi who has been wandering his cage a lot and has decided to live on the screen top. I think it’s because we left the crickets in there, or it’s too wet, or too warm (yes we’ve made a ton of rookie mistakes that I want to fix).
How the heck to do get him off so I can get the crickets out and clean up his cage? Also how do you get him out of there without him running off? He’s fast!

Attachments

• 00772327-A151-45F4-AA73-B9C7446C2FA4.jpeg
    00772327-A151-45F4-AA73-B9C7446C2FA4.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 62

Enn49

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Can you lift the screen top off? If you can , lay it upside down on the floor so the T is on top. Quickly place a catch cup over the T and slide a sheet of paper slowly under the cup and the T, then you can put the cage back together and replace the T.
If you can't remove the screen then I think your best bet is to use a soft brush and tickle its toes through the mesh.

SpiderMom13

Can you lift the screen top off? If you can , lay it upside down on the floor so the T is on top. Quickly place a catch cup over the T and slide a sheet of paper slowly under the cup and the T, then you can put the cage back together and replace the T.
If you can't remove the screen then I think your best bet is to use a soft brush and tickle its toes through the mesh.

No, it is a slide in one, so if I slide it it will push him towards the opening or scare him and I’m worried he will fall. I may try the feet tickling!

Tortoise Tom

1,000+ Post Club
Slowly slide the lid open and have a clear catch cup over the edge for him to climb into. Be very careful of his toes. Move the screen slowly and wait for him to move each toe out of the way before progressing. It may take a few minutes, but don't be in a rush.

Dry substrate for this species, and a water bowl. I only drop in one food insect at a time. If they don't take it within a few seconds, I remove it. Crickets can kill them if they chew on them during a molt.

Also, be aware the some species cannot be housed in tanks with wire lids. Some tarantulas will pick at the screen and make a hole in it, and they can also get their little claws stuck in it. You might need to use a different style of caging. Time will well.

SpiderMom13

Slowly slide the lid open and have a clear catch cup over the edge for him to climb into. Be very careful of his toes. Move the screen slowly and wait for him to move each toe out of the way before progressing. It may take a few minutes, but don't be in a rush.

Dry substrate for this species, and a water bowl. I only drop in one food insect at a time. If they don't take it within a few seconds, I remove it. Crickets can kill them if they chew on them during a molt.

Also, be aware the some species cannot be housed in tanks with wire lids. Some tarantulas will pick at the screen and make a hole in it, and they can also get their little claws stuck in it. You might need to use a different style of caging. Time will well.
Good to know! We got what they suggested at the store. The information out there is so confusing! One page says 40-50% humidity the other 70%.

Dave Jay

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Blowing can get them moving, as can a spray (not directly at the spider). At least it works for me, one spritz through a ventilation hole and they retreat to shelter, although sometimes they'll run around silly if startled.
If you don't have a pair of good, long (12"?) tongs you should get some, it's about the only way to simply remove crickets without having to fully open a lid. Sometimes you have to settle for killing or wounding the cricket rather than risk a spider escape.

PanzoN88

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Good information! Thank you! We just bought what they suggested at the store. Of course his cage at the store was sopping wet, and the info online is so confusing! One page says 40-50% humidity, another 70%.
Take what most pet stores and 99% of online caresheets say with a grain of salt. Never chase humidity numbers, regardless of species, as humidity is irrelevant to tarantulas. Humidity gauges as re a waste of money in regards to the tarantula hobby. B. hamorii like the substrate dry. After getting the tarantula off the lid, you could take the screen out and replace it with plexiglass.

Whitelightning777

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Good information! Thank you! We just bought what they suggested at the store. Of course his cage at the store was sopping wet, and the info online is so confusing! One page says 40-50% humidity, another 70%.

Those caresheets are wrong. B hamorii is a dry spider, requiring only a water dish that has water in it at all times. This is one reason why they are so popular with first time owners. You simply don't have to worry about humidity at all. Just add a hide, substrate & a waterdish and you're good to go. Try to aim for mid 70s temps if possible in your home, but that's probably not critical.

RonC

3 Year Member
Until you can replace the lid place a strip of packing tape inside around the edges of the screen so it make a slick barrier around the edges. Make sure the edges are down good so T doesn't get stuck on the tape. Also looks like you could add more substrate. It will lessen chances of injury if it does fall.