• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Housing New caribena versicolor slings

dieselchick

Hello everyone. I’m super new at keeping Tarantulas , and currently only have a couple large juvenile GBB’s(2”)and 1 adult T. Albopilosus, that I bought already 4”. I’ve decided to try my hand at a couple slings and ordered my first slings online from FNT. I’m getting two 3/4”- 1” C. Versicolor slings. I have 3” x 3” cubes I was thinking of using. Will this work, or should I go taller? When the recommendations say “at least 3x the DLS, does that mean AFTER the substrate is in or the entire enclosure. Looking for clarification. Thanks in advance.

m0lsx

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Personally, I use clear plastic drink cups, with lids, for my arboreal slings. These give height & depth. But your cubes will be fine for a molt or two. Give your sling a little height above the substrate, but also some depth of substrate as even arboreal slings normally like to burrow.

With arboreal slings a vertical piece of bark will normally result in a burrow at it's base, so I tend to put the bark into the enclosure & then add the substrate around the bark for them.

In a 3 X 3 enclosure, I would give 1.5 inches of substrate & 1.5 inches of height.

If you want to use something other than your 3 X 3 cubes, look up 32oz insect culture cups on ebay etc. Some come with a vented lid & I then heat a pin & add some holes in the side of the cup for improved ventilation. If the lid is not vented, then simply make some very small holes in the lid too. But don't forget any hole needs to be smaller than your slings body, to prevent escape, so pin holes for a sling.

To make holes in delicups, drink cups etc I use a pair of pliers with an elastic band around the handle, to hold the pin. And then I heat the held pin over a cooker hob, as the plastic tends to crack if a pin is just pushed through it, rather than melted through it.

Latest posts