1. Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Hogna Aspersa (Tiger Wolf Spider)

Discussion in 'Off Topic Chit Chat' started by Kaden Alexander, Dec 3, 2018.

1. Kaden Alexander

Kaden Alexander Member

This is an opportunistic burrowing species of wolf spider that grows to about 1'' (leg-span). I have 3 of these, as there is a massive colony in my neighbors yard (there are so many that my neighbor made a communal set-up of 8 individuals!). As adults they are dark colored with even darker stripes. The sub-adults and younger are more lightly colored and sometimes lack any form of stripes. The males are small growing to about 1/2'' to 5/8''. The males also look different. They are lighter colored with darker forelegs and have very large pedipalps (given they are male). I have two sub-adult females, one younger than the other, and one mature male, who quite honestly might not live to 2019 :( Finally, here are a few pics (sry if they r bad):
    GOPR0675.JPG Male (above)
    GOPR0674.JPG Smaller Female (above)
    GOPR0677.JPG Larger Female (above)
    Dave Jay likes this.
  2. Kaden Alexander

Kaden Alexander Member

Really sorry for bad picks ):
    Dave Jay likes this.
  3. Dave Jay

Dave Jay Well-Known Member

Well they look pretty small, it's hard to get good pictures sometimes. They sound very interesting though, I'm sure you'll get some good pictures sooner or later, perhaps when they are in larger enclosures so you can take the lids off for pictures.
  4. Dave Jay

Dave Jay Well-Known Member

Because you included the latin name it was easy for me to find more information and better pictures, they're certainly one of the nicest looking wolf spiders I've seen.