• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Hide needs moved but T about to molt.

Goldiesgiants

Hi there I ask alot of questions I know.
So my A. Geniculata has burrowed under her hide (which is great!) But the hide isnt deep enough in the substrate so I really wanted to try and fix that.
The issue is my T has started laying down a molt mat at the bottom of the dug out hide.
Should I just leave the hide as it is until the T has molted and hardened and then try and sort it?
And the T Is definitely in premolt as it has black bald patches all over her abdomen and the abdomen looks like it's about to pop.
What are my options here?
Thanks everyone.

Goldiesgiants

Oh never mind it wasn't a molting mat the T is just webbing up the burrow under the hide. But from what I've read that's still a sign of a molt about to happen right?

Enn49

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Most Ts will sort themselves out on their own when it comes to moulting. If she needs more space she will dig substrate out to make more room for herself.
It's best to leave them alone so as not to stress them unduly.

Goldiesgiants

What do you mean the top and bottom of her?
Oh sorry I meant on her butt? The dark bald patch underneath her butt and a lighter bald patch from flicking hairs when she was being moved from the shop I assume on the top of her butt. (I feel like butt is the wrong word but I'm running on about 3 hours of sleep right now.) But yeah the black bald patch is getting bigger so I'm pretty sure she(?) Is in premolt.

x_raphael_xx

If she is in premolt, and you can see her skin, the skin will darken because of the new hairs underneath.

This is one of mine with kicked hairs, you can see his pale skin underneath. So he isn't in premolt, but is just bald.

1705426300497.png

This one however, has kicked hairs and is very much in premolt, the skin is black from the new hairs under the skin.
1705426427254.png

Goldiesgiants

If she is in premolt, and you can see her skin, the skin will darken because of the new hairs underneath.

This is one of mine with kicked hairs, you can see his pale skin underneath. So he isn't in premolt, but is just bald.

View attachment 72525

This one however, has kicked hairs and is very much in premolt, the skin is black from the new hairs under the skin.
View attachment 72527
Yeah so the skin under the kicked hairs is darkening up now.

View attachment 72525

View attachment 72527
Is the darkening gradual or would it be sudden? Also some people online say if the T will eat in premolt then its fine to feed them others say don't feed the tarantula in premolt? I'm not sure it makes much difference as Ts can go so long without food but thought I'd ask if it's safe to try her with food if she has the dark skin?

x_raphael_xx

Yeah so the skin under the kicked hairs is darkening up now.
Is the darkening gradual or would it be sudden? Also some people online say if the T will eat in premolt then its fine to feed them others say don't feed the tarantula in premolt? I'm not sure it makes much difference as Ts can go so long without food but thought I'd ask if it's safe to try her with food if she has the dark skin?
Just realised the above pic of the premolt T wasn't actually mine but Arachnoclowns...I was looking in an old thread.

Yes it would be gradual, as they are slowly developing underneath and getting ready to molt, depending on the age of the spider it could be weeks or months.
They will stop eating when ready to molt, so monitor any feedings and take out any prey not eaten. As when it does molt, it will be soft and vulnerable, and a cricket or locust could kill/eat at it.
Don't feed for a little while after, as the fangs need to harden up.

Goldiesgiants

Just realised the above pic of the premolt T wasn't actually mine but Arachnoclowns...I was looking in an old thread.

Yes it would be gradual, as they are slowly developing underneath and getting ready to molt, depending on the age of the spider it could be weeks or months.
They will stop eating when ready to molt, so monitor any feedings and take out any prey not eaten. As when it does molt, it will be soft and vulnerable, and a cricket or locust could kill/eat at it.
Don't feed for a little while after, as the fangs need to harden up.
That is perfect thank you for the advice! I don't want to seem like I just bought a T on a whim without researching first but I'm also paranoid that I'm missing something or done something wrong so I would rather ask and get it right than not ask and end up with a sick tarantula or worse.

Latest posts