• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Hi. I'm Matt and I'm stupid.

Matts

3 Year Member
As was discussed here --> http://www.tarantulaforum.com/threads/new-in-moscow.5195/
I have a bit of a geographical problem.

However. I couldn't wait. My girlfriend of all people told me to just buy 'a freaking spider' already. She made the point that I'll find out if the hobby is right for me or not. And I can sell it if I don't like it. Or if I do end up enjoying the hobby then I'll know for sure and still might be able to make money off a sling if it gets big enough later. Or if I REALLY like it. Pay the money for an import license as long as it's not more than a couple hundred bucks and take it with me. So I found a guy selling a 3cm grammostola pulchripes for 15 bucks. Suspect female. Got a kritter keeper and went for it. Then as I was leaving he gave me a suspect male Curly hair for free that he couldn't get rid of and needed to make room for new babies!!!

I'm ecstatic! Here are some photos of the preliminary set up. I'm going to add more substrate in a few minutes to cushion any potential falls. But for now I couldn't hold my excitement.

Getting ready...

IMG_20150401_222058.jpg
both.jpg
knee skull 1.jpg

The curly hair. Less than an inch.
curly blurry 1.jpg
curly normal.jpg

Decided to try and give feeding time a whirl. Yep, it was feeding time!!!
knee crick spread.jpg
knee crick.jpg

Sorry for everyone's advice that I didn't follow. However, I think I made the right choice :)

Ghost

3 Year Member
Congrats on getting your first T's ,It's always nice to get a freebie,Looks like their settling in just fine for you..

Matts

3 Year Member
Thanks for the warm reception! One thing I have noticed is that the vast majority of people who collect Ts are very helpful and open to newcomers. One of the many reasons to love this hobby!

I finally worked up the courage to handle the Chaco yesterday. I've handled the smaller guy twice now I think, although I don't plan on doing it anymore anytime soon. For a recovering arachnophobe like me, this is a huge step seeing as how just a year ago I was scared stiff of a tarantula I stumbled upon in a toilet in Cyprus! Although it was only about 3 inches at the time, I opted to use the women's room instead of 'do battle' with that beast. Looking back, I wish I would have been more inquisitive and taken a closer look at that creature. I am now very interested to know what it was... Oh well, live and learn.

Two pictures from yesterday.

First the Chaco, and second the curly hair.
bigerguy.jpg
lilguy.jpg

Although, one thing I've noticed, especially when looking at my small curly hair... don't all these tiny slings look exactly the same?? How does one really know that it is indeed a 'harmless' curly hair and not an OBT that was sent by mistake? Unless you buy the sling in person and are shown the parent Ts, is it really smart to handle 'unidentifiable' baby Ts? I know the correct answer here is "don't handle them ever". I'm not arguing that point :) I'm just curios as just how 'smart' it is to handle tiny slings like that.

Thaaanks!

Latest posts