• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Hi, I’m new here.

helenaoskars

I’d like to introduce myself. I registered to this forum for two reasons: Tarantulas fascinate me, and I currently own two Psalmopoeus irminia juvenile spiders.

I have owned a tarantula called Cuban Rose in my language. The pet store that sold her did not know tarantulas. Could it have been a Grammostola rosea? I’ve added pictures and would love to know! She died this summer, at approx. 15 years of age.

I recently bought two Psalmopoeus irminia juvenile spiders. They appear to have very different attitudes? One is very active and always visible, the other has been hiding in a substrate “cave” since we bought it eight days ago. I hope to learn more in this forum, as I’ve never owned anything but an adult tarantula, and never this kind. I’d love to get in touch with someone that could teach me something that’ll make my spiders life better. I’ve added pictures of my active spider and the cave of the other one.

As for me? I’m a secondary school teacher with two hobbies: tarantulas and whippets. ;)

Attachments

• IMG_9031.jpeg
    IMG_9031.jpeg
    331.8 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_9032.jpeg
    IMG_9032.jpeg
    537.6 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG_9033.jpeg
    IMG_9033.jpeg
    673.2 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_9035.jpeg
    IMG_9035.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 7
  • IMG_9036.jpeg
    IMG_9036.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 5
  • IMG_9037.jpeg
    IMG_9037.jpeg
    431.7 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_9038.jpeg
    IMG_9038.jpeg
    250.4 KB · Views: 7

Enn49

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Hello and welcome. :)
You'll get plenty of great advice here so feel free to ask any questions you may have.

helenaoskars

I have plenty. Here are a few:

1) How do I know when it’s in premolt? My last spider rarely molted..

2) I fed the “shy” tarantula a cricket yesterday at approx. 5PM yesterday. It is 2PM the next day now, and the cricket is alive and healthy in there. When do I take it out? (For reference, the active one pounced its cricket within a second.)

3) The cave the shy one made appears to be almost completely closed, I cannot see into it. Does this mean molting? How long can I expect it to stay this way?

4) My spiders are about 3.5 cm now. Should I find other sources of food than crickets?

I have so much to learn about owning something other than an adult tarantula…

Enn49

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
1) The usual signs are not feeding and webbing up of entrance to its hide.
2) It can take them different amounts of time to settle into a new home so don't worry that one ate and the other didn't. I'd remove any uneaten food after 24 hours.
3) It maybe coming up to moult but it could also be simply because it has been moved to a new home. Again it varies how long they take either to moult or just settle in.
4) You could try them on such as mealworms.

helenaoskars

1) The usual signs are not feeding and webbing up of entrance to its hide.
2) It can take them different amounts of time to settle into a new home so don't worry that one ate and the other didn't. I'd remove any uneaten food after 24 hours.
3) It maybe coming up to moult but it could also be simply because it has been moved to a new home. Again it varies how long they take either to moult or just settle in.
4) You could try them on such as mealworms.
Thank you I’ll get a hold of mealworms.