• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Hi guys my name is vincenzo I'm new to keeping tarantulas i have a female Mexican red rump .

costie

I brought a female Mexican red rump 8 the person i brought her off was not helpful days ago i saw her for the first two days then she web both entrance with coco fibre and i ain't seen her for 6 days now i did do research and watches YouTube video's and googled and got two answers back one she is pre moulting two she hibernating.

m0lsx

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Hello Vincenzo welcome to the hobby & the forum.

You are correct saying that your vegans is possibly pre molt. But where ever you read hibernating. They got it wrong. Tarantulas do not hibernate. They do however often have a solitary behaviour & that is where the term "pet hole," is from. Often T's just disappear, maybe down a hole, or under their cover & that is where they stay. Thus, you can end up with a hole, rather than a T, as a pet.

Every T is different. I have several Brachypelmas, most are out on show all the time. But a few, I hardly ever see.

costie

Hello Vincenzo welcome to the hobby & the forum.

You are correct saying that your vegans is possibly pre molt. But where ever you read hibernating. They got it wrong. Tarantulas do not hibernate. They do however often have a solitary behaviour & that is where the term "pet hole," is from. Often T's just disappear, maybe down a hole, or under their cover & that is where they stay. Thus, you can end up with a hole, rather than a T, as a pet.

Every T is different. I have several Brachypelmas, most are out on show all the time. But a few, I hardly ever see.
Thank you as i was worried abot my brachypelma vagan as she has stop eating do you know how long it can take for her to moult as google said it can take a few days or a month.

costie

20220528_182155.jpg
20220526_171631.jpg

m0lsx

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Thank you as i was worried abot my brachypelma vagan as she has stop eating do you know how long it can take for her to moult as google said it can take a few days or a month.

It could be a few days, it could be a few weeks, a few months, or she may not eat for many months. I have a Brachypelma, that is a very infrequent eater.

Sometimes changing the food size can get a feeding response. I have 2 Brachypelma, that will only eat smaller crickets. Putting a size appropriate cricket in, seems to stress some T's. So putting one, or sometimes 2. Smaller crickets in, gets them to feed. Lots of my T's will not eat roaches at all. Three different T's, need food left for at least 72 hours, but nearly always feed, if the food is left. Most T's tke the food within 24 hours & then start to stress if it's left. Many feed over night & you never see them feed. The food just disapears.

Don't worry. Give yourself time & sees what works for your T & you.

costie

It could be a few days, it could be a few weeks, a few months, or she may not eat for many months. I have a Brachypelma, that is a very infrequent eater.

Sometimes changing the food size can get a feeding response. I have 2 Brachypelma, that will only eat smaller crickets. Putting a size appropriate cricket in, seems to stress some T's. So putting one, or sometimes 2. Smaller crickets in, gets them to feed. Lots of my T's will not eat roaches at all. Three different T's, need food left for at least 72 hours, but nearly always feed, if the food is left. Most T's tke the food within 24 hours & then start to stress if it's left. Many feed over night & you never see them feed. The food just disapears.

Don't worry. Give yourself time & sees what works for your T & you.
Thank you I'll try different food

mrsoul1974

3 Year Member
Hi, and welcome!

Don't panic... Your B.Vagan is probably in premolt. Don't disturb the T and wait for it to emerge. m0lsx has given you some pretty solid advice on this one. Keep us posted!!

m0lsx

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Just to add, if, or when, your T molts. Give it at least a week & prefrably10 days, before you feed it.

When T's molt, they change their fangs, as part of that molt. So, need time for the fangs to harden. Before we feed them following a molt.

Latest posts