• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Hi folks! New here and looking for help deciding!‍

JoJo

I am contemplating getting a Tarantula and would like some advice/opinions.
After watching the keepers of Tarantula’s on Youtube for many months, I feel like I may want to venture into the acquisition of one, or more, myself.
I’ve done much research and have narrowed down my choices.
**I would like to be directed to the experts who can help me decide.**
Nice to be here and anxious to find out more about this hobby!

octanejunkie

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Welcome, JoJo!
What species has your research led you to narrow your choices down to and what questions do you have?

Oursapoil

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Hi Jojo,
Welcome to the forum! This is a very exciting and important time for you to select your first tarantula.
As more than a thousand species of tarantulas have been already identified, we would need you to do the leg work to a smaller number in order for us to chime in ;)
Looking forward to your selection.
P.S: I believe you should be able as well to create a survey/voting option on your post between your final choices to make it more interesting as well as reaching out to more people who might not have the time to write a full response.
Cheers.

Arachnoclown

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
200-1.gif

JoJo

Hey guys! Thanks for replying.
My criteria are these:
- Beginner friendly. I have never owned a T before.
- No phobia of spiders.
- Not to exceed 6” (Preference is maximum 5”)
- Not exceedingly long-lived. (I know, probably haven’t heard that one before, right?)
- Not prone to throwing urticating hairs.
- Easy to keep.
- Cute and/or somewhat colourful.
- The least ”creepy“ looking; husband doesn’t yet know I’m looking into these and is not a fan of spiders, even though he’ll never ‘have’ to see it.

My choices based on the above-mentioned and their availability to me, are:
1) Brachypelma Albopilosum “Curly Hair”
2) Caribena Versicolor “Antilles Pinktoe”
3) Avicularia Metallica “Pinktoe”
4) Cyriocosmus Elegans “Trinidad Dwarf Tiger”
5) Hapalopus sp. Colombia “Pumpkin Patch”

If I could find these in Canada, I would add these to the top of my list, but alas, haven’t found any available in my current research:
**Homoeomma Chilensis “Chilean Flame”
**Euthlus sp. Red

So, what are your opinions based on what your experiences are with these?
Any other suggestions?

JoJo

Hi Jojo,
Welcome to the forum! This is a very exciting and important time for you to select your first tarantula.
As more than a thousand species of tarantulas have been already identified, we would need you to do the leg work to a smaller number in order for us to chime in ;)
Looking forward to your selection.
P.S: I believe you should be able as well to create a survey/voting option on your post between your final choices to make it more interesting as well as reaching out to more people who might not have the time to write a full response.
Cheers.
Once I narrow things down, I may just do that. Sounds fun!

Arachnoclown

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Great list of beginner tarantulas except the Hapalopus sp. Columbia. They are extremely fast and bolty. Infact I have taken in this species before because they scared a new keeper.
I would however add in its replacement Brachypelma auratum. They are just beautiful.
20211207_150908.jpg
20211218_202745.jpg

JoJo

Welcome, JoJo!
What species has your research led you to narrow your choices down to and what questions do you have?
I also question how to maintain a food source for one(1) Tarantula. Although I must admit that I have an ddictive personality and will most likely not get just one. Haha!
I have a bedroom in the basement that’s been converted to an aquarium room, so it’s always a comfortable temperature and humidity level controlled, but existent. I think it’ll be perfect down there for T’s. Was that a plural T I just wrote?…

octanejunkie

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Hey guys! Thanks for replying.
My criteria are these:
- Beginner friendly. I have never owned a T before.
- No phobia of spiders.
- Not to exceed 6” (Preference is maximum 5”)
- Not exceedingly long-lived. (I know, probably haven’t heard that one before, right?)
- Not prone to throwing urticating hairs.
- Easy to keep.
- Cute and/or somewhat colourful.
- The least ”creepy“ looking; husband doesn’t yet know I’m looking into these and is not a fan of spiders, even though he’ll never ‘have’ to see it.

My choices based on the above-mentioned and their availability to me, are:
1) Brachypelma Albopilosum “Curly Hair”
2) Caribena Versicolor “Antilles Pinktoe”
3) Avicularia Metallica “Pinktoe”
4) Cyriocosmus Elegans “Trinidad Dwarf Tiger”
5) Hapalopus sp. Colombia “Pumpkin Patch”

If I could find these in Canada, I would add these to the top of my list, but alas, haven’t found any available in my current research:
**Homoeomma Chilensis “Chilean Flame”
**Euthlus sp. Red

So, what are your opinions based on what your experiences are with these?
Any other suggestions?
Any Brachypelma, Grammostola or Tlitocatl would be a fine first T, but none of those don't have the potential for kicking hairs - you just have to orient your husbandry and interactions with them to not put them in a position to want to kick hairs
Does that make sense?

Regarding avicularia, may I offer you some light reading?

octanejunkie

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
I also question how to maintain a food source for one(1) Tarantula. Although I must admit that I have an ddictive personality and will most likely not get just one. Haha!
I have a bedroom in the basement that’s been converted to an aquarium room, so it’s always a comfortable temperature and humidity level controlled, but existent. I think it’ll be perfect down there for T’s. Was that a plural T I just wrote?…
Find a local pet store with constant supply of feeders, like live crickets. Raising feeders for 1 tarantula is not practical.

.MIC

3 Year Member
Hi Jojo!

Welcome to the forum,

I can speak on a couple of the beginner T's that I've owned, one of them being the curly hair. I bought a female as a sling and she's about 4 pushing 5. Definitely one of the most docile that I've owned. She's never thrown a threat posture or really thrown any hairs at me unless I really scared her when doing a rehousing. The other one I've owned was the pink toe, another docile T that hasn't shown any aggression or thrown any hairs although they do shoot poop from time to time.

JoJo

Great list of beginner tarantulas except the Hapalopus sp. Columbia. They are extremely fast and bolty. Infact I have taken in this species before because they scared a new keeper.
I would however add in its replacement Brachypelma auratum. They are just beautiful. View attachment 62468View attachment 62469
SOooooooooo pretty!
But my husband is a HUGE movie watcher, and I fear that if he ever ventures to take a look at my T, he may see this ‘man-eater’ spider that he’s seen portrayed in the movies.
I’ll replace the Hapalopus sp. Colombia with this, for now though. Thanks!

JoJo

Hi Jojo!

Welcome to the forum,

I can speak on a couple of the beginner T's that I've owned, one of them being the curly hair. I bought a female as a sling and she's about 4 pushing 5. Definitely one of the most docile that I've owned. She's never thrown a threat posture or really thrown any hairs at me unless I really scared her when doing a rehousing. The other one I've owned was the pink toe, another docile T that hasn't shown any aggression or thrown any hairs although they do shoot poop from time to time.
The poop-throwing isn’t a deal-breaker in the least, for me. I’ll just throw some back at it!
I will have access to mostly very small slings, and so I won’t know the sex.
There is someone selling a two(2) year old Curly Hair that is not too far from me. Not a reputable breeder, but an individual.

JoJo

Any Brachypelma, Grammostola or Tlitocatl would be a fine first T, but none of those don't have the potential for kicking hairs - you just have to orient your husbandry and interactions with them to not put them in a position to want to kick hairs
Does that make sense?

Regarding avicularia, may I offer you some light reading?
Definitely not a deal-breaker, for sure.
I don’t plan on handling and I will be respectful and appreciative of the “nature of the beast”.

octanejunkie

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
There is someone selling a two(2) year old Curly Hair that is not too far from me. Not a reputable breeder, but an individual.
At that age gender should be determinable. I would be cautious of someone looking to dump a male they don't need.

JoJo

At that age gender should be determinable. I would be cautious of someone looking to dump a male they don't need.
Haven’t looked into how to sex an adult.
I’m mainly looking at TarantulaCanada.ca for my T’s; slings only, but I’m ok with that.
I also thought of that “dumping” of which you speak.

octanejunkie

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Haven’t looked into how to sex an adult.
I’m mainly looking at TarantulaCanada.ca for my T’s; slings only, but I’m ok with that.
I also thought of that “dumping” of which you speak.
Females are preferred by many die to longevity and that they can be bred and are the more desirable gender for most keepers - if you're only gonna get 1, get a female.

Keepers will get rid of males they don't need/want as "unsexed" as to imply the potential of the buyer maybe getting a female. Not saying that's what's happening but I'm always suspicious of semi-adults/adults being sold as unsexed.