• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Hi everyone!

King_Smithi

3 Year Member
Hi guys, i'm kinda new in this hobby so i joined up here to learn from experienced people. I have a two months old Brachypelma Smithi which i named King (although i am not sure what sex it is). I hope I will learn a lot =)

syzygy

3 Year Member
Welcome! Is that King in your profile pic? If so it is definitely not 2 months old...maybe you've had it for 2 months?
If it's the later then you should check out the thread on sexing as this T looks old enough to sex externally, but definitely it could be determined by examining the next molt.

Smithi's are beautiful and make great first T's in my opinion.

King_Smithi

3 Year Member
Welcome! Is that King in your profile pic? If so it is definitely not 2 months old...maybe you've had it for 2 months?
If it's the later then you should check out the thread on sexing as this T looks old enough to sex externally, but definitely it could be determined by examining the next molt.

Smithi's are beautiful and make great first T's in my opinion.

Hi! I have him for a month now. When i got him he was smaller than he is now and he molted only once so I was just guessing he is two months old.

King_Smithi

3 Year Member
Totally agree with Sassy, What a pretty T! Welcome to the forums :D

Thanks Kymura! I was just wondering isn't the orange on his knees kinda pale? I have read that when it molts the knees get pale but mine ate just yesterday so he is not saving energy for molt or anything.

Kymura

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
How large is it ? Looks lovely to me, but not one I have yet, one of the experts will chime in with info though, folks here are great!

syzygy

3 Year Member
How large is it ? Looks lovely to me, but not one I have yet, one of the experts will chime in with info though, folks here are great!

This is a good question about the size. My smithi just molted and doesn't have anywhere near the coloring of yours yet. Mine is just short of 1 year old and is probably about 1.5" (dls) now. Yours looks like it could easily be 2.5 to 3" and you mentioned that it molted just a few weeks ago. If so, it will be a couple of months before another molt even if power fed.

King_Smithi

3 Year Member
So... I measured him and his leg span is around 3,5 inches. I also took a photo while he was on the wall if any of you would like to guess his sex :)

Attachments

• 20160224_161259.jpg
    20160224_161259.jpg
    4.6 MB · Views: 21

Zurchiboy

3 Year Member
Welcome. I am also new hobbyist and these guys are very helpful. Brachypelma Smith is are one of my favorite types. The coloration is stunning. My first T was a b smithi sling.

Hisserdude

3 Year Member
Hi! I have him for a month now. When i got him he was smaller than he is now and he molted only once so I was just guessing he is two months old.

Well he is probably much older than that, could be well over a year old. I don't think they gain those beautiful colors that fast.

Psyrocke

3 Year Member
So... I measured him and his leg span is around 3,5 inches. I also took a photo while he was on the wall if any of you would like to guess his sex :)
I am still kinda new to the sexing thing, at least having faith in it. To me, it does look male..but I could be completely wrong. I have better faith in ventral than with a molt, but molts are by far more accurate. Maybe someone more experienced in sexing can chime in, cause I've only recently started trying to sex mine.

And the one that I have that's big enough, its decently obvious on her.

King_Smithi

3 Year Member
When i vo
I am still kinda new to the sexing thing, at least having faith in it. To me, it does look male..but I could be completely wrong. I have better faith in ventral than with a molt, but molts are by far more accurate. Maybe someone more experienced in sexing can chime in, cause I've only recently started trying to sex mine.

And the one that I have that's big enough, its decently obvious on her.

When i got him i didn't really think much of the sex so i just named him King, but i really hope that you are wrong and that it's a female.

Latest posts