• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Hi, another new to TF from Florida :)

Jenniferinfl

Sorry, should have made an intro post last week when I joined, but, I sort of wanted to putter around a bit and make sure this was what I was looking for. I last kept tarantulas in the mid 2000's or so and was active on another tarantula forum, but, unfortunately the overall feeling of that forum has changed over the years and it's rather abrasive now, so, was hoping to come here and just have friendly chats about T's with other people who have T's.

Anyhow, I'm Jen, I currently live in Florida. I kept around 40 T's, mostly purchased as slings from around 2006-2008. I had a mass die-off event likely related to a neighbor's pesticide usage and have been nervous about keeping T's ever since. We have moved since that happened, so, hopefully whatever the issue was we won't encounter it again. I had some larger T's survive the event and live a few more years, but, regrettably two were mature males who since passed on and a wild caught Rosie who only passed a couple years ago. In the event it was something contagious, we didn't want to add any new T's while any of the affected ones were still alive. My spouse bought a small B. hamorii sling after our rosehair passed and that one did well for a couple years, so, decided to jump back into the hobby since we haven't had mystery deaths and just keep fingers crossed that we are good.

Unfortunately, I'm pretty anxious about it. I'd love to be able to just enjoy them like I used to, but, all those horrible twitching deaths are permanently seared into my memory.

Over the last couple weeks, I picked up these guys:
0.0.1 Acanthoscurria geniculata 0.5 inches

0.0.1 Brachypelma boehmei 0.25 inches

0.0.1 Brachypelma hamorii 0.25 inches

0.0.1 Caribena versicolor 0.5 inches

0.0.1 Ceratogyrus darlingi 1 inch

0.0.1 Chromatopelma cyaneopubescens 0.5 inches

0.0.1 Cyriopagopus sp hati hati 0.75 inches

0.0.1 Davus pentaloris 1 inches

0.0.1 Grammostola pulchripes 0.5 inches

0.0.1 Heteroscodra maculata 0.5 inches

0.0.1 Heterothele gabonensis 0.25 inches

0.0.1 Hysterocrates gigas 0.25 inches

0.0.1 Lasiodora parahybana 1.5 inches

0.0.1 Monocentropus balfouri 1.5 inches

0.0.1 Neoholothele incei 1 inch

0.0.1 Psalmopoeus cambridgei 0.5 inches

0.0.1 Psalmopoeus irminia 0.5 inches

0.0.1 Psalmopoeus reduncus 0.5 inches

0.0.1 Tapinauchenius violaceus 0.5 inches

0.0.1 Tliltocatl albopilosus 0.5 inches

0.0.1 Tliltocatl vagans 0.5 inches

It feels so weird having all teeny tiny slings again. I'd forgotten what it was like to not even know for sure if there was really a tarantula in the enclosure.. lol

Cnidarianfarmer

Sorry, should have made an intro post last week when I joined, but, I sort of wanted to putter around a bit and make sure this was what I was looking for. I last kept tarantulas in the mid 2000's or so and was active on another tarantula forum, but, unfortunately the overall feeling of that forum has changed over the years and it's rather abrasive now, so, was hoping to come here and just have friendly chats about T's with other people who have T's.

Anyhow, I'm Jen, I currently live in Florida. I kept around 40 T's, mostly purchased as slings from around 2006-2008. I had a mass die-off event likely related to a neighbor's pesticide usage and have been nervous about keeping T's ever since. We have moved since that happened, so, hopefully whatever the issue was we won't encounter it again. I had some larger T's survive the event and live a few more years, but, regrettably two were mature males who since passed on and a wild caught Rosie who only passed a couple years ago. In the event it was something contagious, we didn't want to add any new T's while any of the affected ones were still alive. My spouse bought a small B. hamorii sling after our rosehair passed and that one did well for a couple years, so, decided to jump back into the hobby since we haven't had mystery deaths and just keep fingers crossed that we are good.

Unfortunately, I'm pretty anxious about it. I'd love to be able to just enjoy them like I used to, but, all those horrible twitching deaths are permanently seared into my memory.

It feels so weird having all teeny tiny slings again. I'd forgotten what it was like to not even know for sure if there was really a tarantula in the enclosure.. lol

Ahoy neighbor! welcome!

Teresaisrad

3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member

I absolutely still have the moments where I'm peering into my little dirt cups trying to find my little brown grains of rice sized babies. >.<

Casey K.

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Welcome to the forum! I'm glad you didn't let one mishap stop you from enjoying the hobby. Things happen to people all the time and it is hard to watch one of your beloved tarantulas pass but I couldn't imagine watching several do so at a time like you did. That is a very nice collection you have and I hope you continue to enjoy the hobby and grow in it. :)

Jenniferinfl

Welcome to the forum! I'm glad you didn't let one mishap stop you from enjoying the hobby. Things happen to people all the time and it is hard to watch one of your beloved tarantulas pass but I couldn't imagine watching several do so at a time like you did. That is a very nice collection you have and I hope you continue to enjoy the hobby and grow in it. :)
Thank you, I have to admit that if I have another big loss I'll likely just be done forever at that point. It took a long time to come back to the hobby after that. But fingers crossed that I'll just have those very occasional losses from here on from normal stuff like a bad molt.

Jenniferinfl

I plan on moving to florida, soon. The last US state that hasnt gone bananas lol
Oof, everybody thinks that.. I promise that it hasn't gone bananas because it was already bananas a long time ago. It's been bananas so long that nobody's sure if one should still try to make banana bread out of it or just toss it in the trash. It doesn't even really resemble bananas anymore, but, that's what it was.. lol

I grew up here and I knew what I was getting into moving back, but, still I often shake my head and wonder why the heck I did.. I'm really only here because I grew up here and have family here. With how many people move here every year, we should be full, but, almost as many leave every year. Those are the ones who still have enough money left to escape.. lol

It can be a fun place for a few years, just rent so you don't get trapped. :)

MBullock

3 Year Member
Oof, everybody thinks that.. I promise that it hasn't gone bananas because it was already bananas a long time ago. It's been bananas so long that nobody's sure if one should still try to make banana bread out of it or just toss it in the trash. It doesn't even really resemble bananas anymore, but, that's what it was.. lol

I grew up here and I knew what I was getting into moving back, but, still I often shake my head and wonder why the heck I did.. I'm really only here because I grew up here and have family here. With how many people move here every year, we should be full, but, almost as many leave every year. Those are the ones who still have enough money left to escape.. lol

It can be a fun place for a few years, just rent so you don't get trapped. :)
well, to be fair im in california, so basically every state is better lool

Latest posts