• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Hi all

Carl

3 Year Member
Hi all, just bought a female Antilles tree spider a few days ago, seemed fine when got her home but hasn't eaten or shown herself in last 48 hours. Is this normal behaviour for this species of tarantula or should I be worried?

VanessaS

3 Year Member
Hi Carl and welcome!
It is normal behaviour, especially if they have been disrupted - rehoused, moved, shipped or are getting ready to moult. They take a little while to get comfortable and they might make themselves scarce during the transition.
How do you have them housed? I photo of the enclosure, and the spider in it if possible, always helps people to troubleshoot if there is something more serious going on. Would you happen to have a photo?
Since they are arboreal, they need lots of vertical surfaces and not as much floor space. They also need a water dish and plenty of ventilation.
Is this your first tarantula?

Carl

3 Year Member
Unfortunately my phone doesn't let me upload pics at the minute. She's in a 45x75x25cm glass tank with the entire top as ventilation. She's got the bottom filled with soil and plants, then has 3 hollow logs going to the top. She made her nest in the biggest log. I was told she doesn't need a water bowl aslong as I spray the inside with water every couple of days. Is that right or would I be better of getting a bowl? Yes she's my first and hopefully not the last ☺ think il see how it goes with this one first though.

justdon

3 Year Member
Welcome and good luck with your fist T.I have only had mine a few month's now myself.But you will learn a lot from everybody here.

Carl

3 Year Member
Thanks. I'm just a bit nervous, I've been told that the Martinique pink toe isn't the best t for a first as something to do with humidity. I could ask loads of questions due to all the sites I've been on make no sense to me lol

Meludox

3 Year Member
Is the tank going vertical or horizontal? By the way that you described it it sounds like it's horizontal, however, A. versicolor are arboreal and therefore need more vertical space to climb. A waterdish in the enclosure is highly recommended.

Carl

3 Year Member
No its taller than it is wide. Il have to get one for her then. Just out of curiosity, would she be able to sense a snake, even if it wasn't in the same room?

Latest posts