• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

hey!!

ungoliant

3 Year Member
Hi! I am about to buy my first tarantula. I am very excited, i have always wanted one but never actually went for it....I joined the forum so i can learn from experienced tarantula owners and ask questions. I plan on buying a chaco golden knee since I have heard they are good starter T's.

SO STOKED!

Josh

Administrator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Welcome to the forum! We're just as stoked to have you here. Thanks for joining - I'm sure we'll be able to address all your questions. Welcome to the addiction! ;)

DalilahBlue

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Welcome! Chaco's are awesome! I have one right now that I think is male, so I am looking for another juvie myself.

Right on @Sabeth !!!!

BigTGirl93

3 Year Member
Hello and welcome! :) I myself also have a Chaco Golden Knee! They are very good beginner T's and easy to take care of as well!

Sabeth

3 Year Member
Yes, that is a controversial subject. I handle my tarantulas, but it's really only for my own enjoyment. The general concesus is that handling only benefits the handler, not the handled...which, in most cases, is most likely true. I do think, though, that having a tarantula that is accustomed to being manipulated can make some things easier, like treating for a disease, if that should be necessary.

BigTGirl93

3 Year Member
Sabeth and DB said it all, handling your T's only benefit you, they could care less lol I love interacting with my t's some people think I am crazy nuts and say that I am asking to get bit but I'm not going to pick up or even bother my T if he or she is flicking hairs or in a threat pose, I have way more common sense than that lol

entomology

3 Year Member
I agree in the handling part lol. It's a personal choice and the rust is tours to take so before you handle are you willing to suffer the consequences?! Always just keep it in mind!! I too handle my T's and I handle P regalis, P metallica, P subfusca, P smithi etc etc an each day the moods are different so always take caution to the wind before attempting and remember they are all unpredictable and most ppl that get bitten is when they breath over the tarantula or talk an when it runs leave it don't cut it off or else u will find out the hard way. Always try babe someone with just incase h do get " nailed" I know we don't like to think of it and tarantulas have causes no human fatalities to date, but I always say I or you might be the first. In this thread I'm not scaring you, but merely bringing you up to speed on what can happen, but Chaco are awesome T's have bred out a few already very beautiful T and I hope u have many years of fun together

ungoliant

3 Year Member
thanks for the advice everyone! i have one last question my golden knee is a baby and she/he fell today while i was putting moss in the cage...
how dangerous is it for the young ones to fall?? she/ he seems to fine but i would hate for to happen again and my T get injured or die.

entomology

3 Year Member
Dnt stress it too much when they are young they are fast and agile am sure ur landed on all 8 legs :) just be positive and dnt think anything has happened . Let is know later today how its doing . A fall can kill a tarantula yes, but not always so lets be positive and know its ok

BigTGirl93

3 Year Member
My Chaco sling has fell once too, he's a strange little one, he loves to burrow and lay silk traps down and dig tunnels, then one day I found him at the top on the tank laying a web? And in that second I saw him fall, I just watched and opened up the tank to see if he was okay, he just crawled off into his borrow lol and to this day he's had a successful molt and is perfectly fine! :) T's know their limits, just think if they weren't captive bred, look how they survive in the wild, with no one to catch their fall and make sure there okay, ya know? When I first got started into owning T's I thought the same way and got worried quick a couple of times, but T's are strong and hardy they can hold their own just fine!

entomology

3 Year Member
Yup I agree there 100% hence they predate so many species . They were here at the beginning of "time" before so many and survived and adapted to so many different habitats and even more so one must wonder how is it they are capable or regenerating a lost limb so,their ability to heal fast is amazing !!! Ppl make a big issue sometimes over a T that falls, but that's always in an un natural environment under abnormal conditions. In the wild they need to be agile and fast and yes they will fall, but they were designed to anticipate that :)

BigTGirl93

3 Year Member
Yup I agree there 100% hence they predate so many species . They were here at the beginning of "time" before so many and survived and adapted to so many different habitats and even more so one must wonder how is it they are capable or regenerating a lost limb so,their ability to heal fast is amazing !!! Ppl make a big issue sometimes over a T that falls, but that's always in an un natural environment under abnormal conditions. In the wild they need to be agile and fast and yes they will fall, but they were designed to anticipate that :)
Well said:)

Latest posts