• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

hey peeps soulsearcher here :)

soulsearcher

hey peeps hope youre all well...

I'm currently looking at getting a pet,
id like to know and learn more about Ts, millipedes etc with all of your help hopefully...

yea dont get me wrong Ts etc dont cost much i could easily go out there and just get some but i personally think that would be irresponsible

you know your taking on someones life so you have to have with vigilance and care, well thats what i feel imo

anyays hello there :)

Casey K.

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Hi there! :) Nice to meet you and welcome to the forum. I have listed a few good beginner tarantula species below. Perhaps you can research those, as well as others and let us know what peaks your interest and perhaps we can go from there.

Grammostola pulchra (terrestrial)
Grammostola pulchripes (terrestrial)
Eupalaestrus campestratus (terrestrial)
Chromatopelma cyaneopubescens (terrestrial)
Grammostola porteri (terrestrial)
Avicularia avicularia (arboreal)
Lasiodora parahybana (terrestrial)

Terrestrial- ground dwellers
Arboreal- tree dwellers

Tree dwellers (arboreals) require more "height" and less ground space when referring to enclosure types and ground dwellers (terrestrials) require more "floor" space and less height. Different species require different setups and environmental conditioning but for the most part, keeping tarantulas at "room temp" is the simple way to do it instead of trying to keep each tarantula at a certain temperature (according to its natural habitat in the wild) and it doesn't harm them in any way. Room temps usually average anywhere between 70-78° Fahrenheit. Feed them once a week and make sure they have a clean water dish (varies for size of tarantula- you don't want a huge water bowl for a tiny sling/baby tarantula). They are wonderful creatures to care for and most of them are fairly hardy to keep! Happy critter hunting and feel free to ask any questions! :)

soulsearcher

Hello and welcome. :)
Have you any idea yet of what species you'd like to begin with? You'll get plenty advice here all you need to do is ask.

hi there, not too sure yet but i do like the the avicularia avicularia ,
love the look of it and it seems quite docile to handle but obviously i appreciate each T is different so does depend on its personality

soulsearcher

Hi there! :) Nice to meet you and welcome to the forum. I have listed a few good beginner tarantula species below. Perhaps you can research those, as well as others and let us know what peaks your interest and perhaps we can go from there.

Grammostola pulchra (terrestrial)
Grammostola pulchripes (terrestrial)
Eupalaestrus campestratus (terrestrial)
Chromatopelma cyaneopubescens (terrestrial)
Grammostola porteri (terrestrial)
Avicularia avicularia (arboreal)
Lasiodora parahybana (terrestrial)

Terrestrial- ground dwellers
Arboreal- tree dwellers

Tree dwellers (arboreals) require more "height" and less ground space when referring to enclosure types and ground dwellers (terrestrials) require more "floor" space and less height. Different species require different setups and environmental conditioning but for the most part, keeping tarantulas at "room temp" is the simple way to do it instead of trying to keep each tarantula at a certain temperature (according to its natural habitat in the wild) and it doesn't harm them in any way. Room temps usually average anywhere between 70-78° Fahrenheit. Feed them once a week and make sure they have a clean water dish (varies for size of tarantula- you don't want a huge water bowl for a tiny sling/baby tarantula). They are wonderful creatures to care for and most of them are fairly hardy to keep! Happy critter hunting and feel free to ask any questions! :)

thanks really appreciate the help and advice casey :)

i do like the look of the avicularia avicularia, what about the ornamentels for the first species?

octanejunkie

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member

i do like the look of the avicularia avicularia, what about the ornamentels for the first species?
Avics are "beginner friendly" in temperament only, their housing and husbandry needs are best met by intermediate keeper's with knowledge and experience.
i do really like the OBTs
No.
Orange speed demons.with medically significant venom. Not for beginners or keepers who tend to leave the enclosure open when doing maintenance.

Casey's list is good!

With the right research a Chromatopelma cyaneopubescens (GBB) would make a stunning first T. They web a lot and have a great feeding response. Their husbandry and housing needs are very straight forward when you set them up right and they are tolerant overall. Mine has never given me a threat pose, etc. The develop stunning blue colored legs and are not sexually dimorphic, appearance wise. Adult males and females look the same however the females of most sp tend to be larger than the males.

Grammostola pulchripes (chaco golden knee) is also a calm and distinctive looking animal with good temperament and basic husbandry needs but don't overlook Brachypelma hamorii (Mexican red knee) and it's larger and more sought-after, and pricier, cousin B. smithi - the classic Hollywood tarantula.

Take your time and do your research. Ask questions. It's all good.

Casey K.

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member

If you research to no end, then I say yes. I wouldn't start with this species without an extended amount of research. Poecilotheria are an old world species. They are flighty and have venom more potent than those of your new world species. @Enn49 would be a great example of keeping these as a first T. I'm sure she wouldn't mind having some input on this topic. My first tarantula was a Grammastola porteri, however, being in the hobby for 14 years I have kept most tarantula species and would say that I am an advanced keeper. I am still learning, though. That being said, research is the most important thing you can do. :)

Last edited:

soulsearcher

Avics are "beginner friendly" in temperament only, their housing and husbandry needs are best met by intermediate keeper's with knowledge and experience.

No.
Orange speed demons.with medically significant venom. Not for beginners or keepers who tend to leave the enclosure open when doing maintenance.

Casey's list is good!

With the right research a Chromatopelma cyaneopubescens (GBB) would make a stunning first T. They web a lot and have a great feeding response. Their husbandry and housing needs are very straight forward when you set them up right and they are tolerant overall. Mine has never given me a threat pose, etc. The develop stunning blue colored legs and are not sexually dimorphic, appearance wise. Adult males and females look the same however the females of most sp tend to be larger than the males.

Grammostola pulchripes (chaco golden knee) is also a calm and distinctive looking animal with good temperament and basic husbandry needs but don't overlook Brachypelma hamorii (Mexican red knee) and it's larger and more sought-after, and pricier, cousin B. smithi - the classic Hollywood tarantula.

Take your time and do your research. Ask questions. It's all good.
cool will check them out thanks

soulsearcher

If you research to no end, then I say yes. I wouldn't start with this species without an extended amount of research. Poecilotheria are an old world species. They are flighty and have venom more potent than those of your new world species. @Enn49 would be a great example of keeping these as a first T. I'm sure she wouldn't mind having some input on this topic. My first tarantula was a Grammastola porteri, however, being in the hobby for 14 years I have kept most tarantula species and would say that I am an advanced keeper. I am still learning, though. That being said, research is the most important thing you can do. :)
okay cool

yea im trying to research as much as possible

are there any Ts that are communal species?

Casey K.

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
okay cool

yea im trying to research as much as possible

are there any Ts that are communal species?

Pretty much most/all of your Poecilotheria species, Monocentropus balfouri (the best imo) and Neoholothele incei. I have also kept some Avicularia species as communals but wouldn't recommend it because it was pretty much an experiment for me off of information someone else gave me. The only reason I don't recommend is because I have yet to find anyone else that has kept them communally so the information is limited.

m0lsx

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Hello & welcome to the hobby.

Have a look at the Neoholothele Incei Gold. They are smaller than the OBT & less aggressive, but just as fast so they do need care when feeding etc. But with care, they are beginner (almost) friendly & they make great webbing & have a beautiful orange colour.