• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Help?

Lilith

3 Year Member
I got these out of my tarantulas mouth. At first i thought they were nematodes since they were hanging out near the mouth but now that i got them out the look more like maggots tbh. Any ideas?
20150923_143831.jpg

newtots

3 Year Member
Could be spring tails... Or maybe some form of larva. Are there lots on your t?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    50.1 KB · Views: 18

Oodalolie

3 Year Member
How long have you had her?
The enclosure would need to attract the fly somehow to lay the eggs... if it is maggots (which they don't seem to represent any other parasite in looks) the good thing is they only eat dead flesh. Though on a non-mammal creature, I dunno how that works. There are certain parasites that T's in the wild can get if they aren't captive bred.
Definitely take her into your exotic vet with the maggots so they can identify them. Also bring her permanent enclosure for the vet to examine.
I hope she gets better Lilith!

Lilith

3 Year Member
How long have you had her?
The enclosure would need to attract the fly somehow to lay the eggs... if it is maggots (which they don't seem to represent any other parasite in looks) the good thing is they only eat dead flesh. Though on a non-mammal creature, I dunno how that works. There are certain parasites that T's in the wild can get if they aren't captive bred.
Definitely take her into your exotic vet with the maggots so they can identify them. Also bring her permanent enclosure for the vet to examine.
I hope she gets better Lilith!
She died the 3rd day and she had them in her when she arrived. And phorid flies are known to lay eggs on sickly tarantulas which will hatch then crawl inside the tarantula through its mouth then eat them from the inside out. Im pretty sure thats what they are

Enn49

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
I'm so sorry that she died. What are the shop doing about it?

Lilith

3 Year Member
I'm so sorry that she died. What are the shop doing about it?
Sorry for your loss. :(
So sorry she died :(.
Thanks you all for your condolences. And as for the shop I have no idea what they're going to do tbh. They have been acting really unprofessional and always have some excuse(that i highly doubt is accurate) as to why they havent responded straight away. As well, they talk in an unprofessional manner. They seem to be really no help at all truthfully and they said they'd see what they could do then contact me today and i have yet to recieve any word.

RedCapTrio

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
That is so sad. Is your T a mature one? They should give your money back for selling an infected T. Are wild-caught specimens being quarantined before they are sold?

Lilith

3 Year Member
That is so sad. Is your T a mature one? They should give your money back for selling an infected T. Are wild-caught specimens being quarantined before they are sold?
Yeah I bought a female Brachypelma klaasi. And she was hatched into captivity

Latest posts