• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Help

Ranger94

Ok I'm wanting to mix Coco do we with potting soil and I have been reading that perlite is bad for ts do any of y'all know a potting soil that doesn't have that

Tnoob

I would never use potting soil. You probably want vermiculite instead. I think that's chemically inert.

AndrewClayton

I would never use potting soil. You probably want vermiculite instead. I think that's chemically inert.
I use a 50/50 mix of coco fibre and top soil always have and never had a problem, it’s for rigidity when the Ts burrow as coco fibre itself is a tad to weak for some bigger spiders burrows IME. Yes you can mix vermiculite in it to retain the moisture in the enclosure of a humid reliant species.

Ranger94

I use a 50/50 mix of coco fibre and top soil always have and never had a problem, it’s for rigidity when the Ts burrow as coco fibre itself is a tad to weak for some bigger spiders burrows IME. Yes you can mix vermiculite in it to retain the moisture in the enclosure of a humid reliant species.

Attachments

• 15677842823584345527582312890415.jpg
    15677842823584345527582312890415.jpg
    3.3 MB · Views: 20

AndrewClayton

You could also experiment mixing the 2 of them with coco fibre, it’s all keepers preference. I’ve even heard of people using excavator clay aswell. Ts are very adaptable in what’s used for substrate as we generally keep them on dirt that’s not necessarily anything like what they would live on in the wild but thrive on it in captivity so it’s just trial and error. I only used coco fibre to start with then started mixing it 50/50 with top soil and haven’t changed since as I’ve never had a reason to it works so I’m happy.

Latest posts