• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Help (Wrong Species?)

Liska_Fox83

About a month ago I ordered a pamphobeteus sp Tigris. Midnight black. It looks nothing like the picture it looks more like pamphobeteus sp manganegra. Was I sent the wrong spider? Or do they look different when very young. It's only about 2" I have only ever owned rose hair. So I'm new to this species

Josh

Administrator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
hey there, welcome to the forum! do you have some pictures you can post of your T? it's hard to determine what you may have gotten without a photo

m0lsx

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Tarantulas do look very different when younger. I have a couple of juvi pamphobeteus & they are not looking anything like they will as adults. Plus, a lot of the photo's that we see of adults are different to how we see them with our eyes.

I brought a purple bloom off someone several years ago & it was not until I took a photo of them, that I saw the colour. I also brought a Brachypelma albiceps off someone as a juvi & it was always a disappointment, as Brachy's are normally lovely looking T's. But this was just bland. Then with one molt it all changed. And she is now a stunning looking T. One of our favourites.

Liska_Fox83

hey there, welcome to the forum! do you have some pictures you can post of your T? it's hard to determine what you may have gotten without a photo

Attachments

• 20240409_082130.jpg
    20240409_082130.jpg
    2.8 MB · Views: 10

Liska_Fox83

Looks too early to tell. A lot of Pamphobeteus slings and juvies will have the same pattern until they hit a certain size.
It's just the patern on the abdomen that is throwing my off I guess. The turantula I order was all black no patterns. I was unsure because I'm new to this species and I also got a Theraphosa apophysis. And even at a young age she looks like she is suppse to

I am by no means any thing close to an expert on Pampho's but I believe this species will get brownish as adults as it gets closer to molting and then molt out black again. As slings and juvies I wouldn't know. This species of Pampho I was thinking of getting as I don't have any Pampho's in my collection! I love all black spiders but there are so many black species and just so many I want argggggg!!! So many!!!