• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Help what sp

Leescrivo

3 Year Member
@Phil

Someone said this
does not look like Brachypelma vagans. B. vagans does not have long hairs on legs 3 and 4 and does not have a carapace bordered with a contrasting color like this one does. Given the red-orange tint to this photo, I can't tell what color the hairs are. Although I can't determine exactly what species this is, I can say with certainty it is not B. vagans. You would know a real B. vagans if you saw it. They have smooth jet black legs sometimes with the patella to tarsus grey, solid black carapace, and bright red-orange hairs on the abdomen.Could it be B. sabulosum?

What people throughs the seller mixed up labels and says it a b vagans but ....

ilovebrachys

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
@Phil

Someone said this
does not look like Brachypelma vagans. B. vagans does not have long hairs on legs 3 and 4 and does not have a carapace bordered with a contrasting color like this one does. Given the red-orange tint to this photo, I can't tell what color the hairs are. Although I can't determine exactly what species this is, I can say with certainty it is not B. vagans. You would know a real B. vagans if you saw it. They have smooth jet black legs sometimes with the patella to tarsus grey, solid black carapace, and bright red-orange hairs on the abdomen.Could it be B. sabulosum?

What people throughs the seller mixed up labels and says it a b vagans but ....
if you do have a B.sabulosum there you have had a touch of good luck...@Phil probably wants one of those I'm sure!:)

T-Baby

3 Year Member
I have a Sabulosum I can try to get a picture if you’d like to see for reference? She doesn’t play ball very well and has a deep burrow but I can try if you’d like to see

Nunua

3 Year Member
It looks a bit similar to my Sericopelma (formerly Brachypelma) angustum sling. Light line around the carapace and red setae that's longer in back legs compared to front ones.

50f52dccab.png

Last edited:

Arachnoclown

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Here's a few photos of a mature female Sabulosum and a video of me pulling a sack from a female. Maybe I can get my female out tonight for some better pictures. By the way those are red hairs on the legs...flash drowns them out. Shes also dingy looking from sitting on a sack...in need of a molt to show off her colors.
20180310_090434.jpg
20180310_090447.jpg

thisspiderguy

I am far from a master spider identifier here, but those pics look a lot like a couple of mine that were sold to me as Brachypelma epicureanum. Mine I got as 1/4-1/2 in slings and they are still only a couple inches now, but they do have certain similarities here that the vagens does not. Of course, like I have all ready mentioned, I am far from an expert myself and for all I know, I was sold something other than what I was told. Is there anyone else here with more experience with B. epicureanum that might have any thoughts on this?

Latest posts